1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Upgrades for my Giant Revel 1

So I just bought my first mtb from my LBS its a 2013 Giant Revel 1 and I'm very satisfied with the bike. I was wondering what upgrades I could get for it to make my riding experience better. I was leaning towards hydraulic brakes, maybe some tires, but what the heck do I know, thats why im asking. I ride the streets and the trails. The trails aren't anything special just something to start on. So please let me know what's good to buy or what you guys think I should buy. Thanks Anthony.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The things that you should think about are ,the seat ,grips, pedals and tires. You should ride it until things wear out or break. A upgraded bike isn't going to make your rides any more fun,they will make it more relaible or lighter.After riding your area for 6 months you might decide that you want a diffrent bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ya that makes sense. I already have some grips and pedals on the way. Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Change what ever makes you feel uncomfortable, usually saddle and grips, upgrade components as they break or wear out.

Plenty of Revel related topics on the Giant sub forum, check them out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Good tires might be the biggest bang for your buck in terms of performance if the stock tires are mediocre. Of course nice tires with 65 psi will suck on trails, set up matters.

Cow Clicker
    I wouldn't change a thing until I understood what and why I wanted to change something. That only comes with time in the saddle.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks to everyone that helped out! Much appreciated!! I'll ride it for a few months and come back to that question.
    But one more thing, is there a break-in time for disk brakes?? Mine are rubbing and I've adjusted them every which way but they still rub. Its nothing bad but its noticeable. And they don't stop me as good as i would like them too. Once they break in will they work better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes there is a bedding in process,what you do is get going 10 or mph ,put the brakes on hard ,release, repeat a few times. As far as rubbing the rotor could be warpped or bent .Check it by spinnig the wheel and wactching the rotor,you can straiten the rotor some with a adjustable wrench.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's a 2013 bike. Return it and buy one for your "real" figure.

The really high-yield parts swaps are the contact points. It's really nice to have my cockpit really set up, a saddle I like, pedals I like, and tires I like.

After that, things start getting a lot higher-dollar and also make a lot less difference in the ride.

Your brakes should break in about as much as they're going to within the first ride. I had a Novela on the front of a commute bike for a while. It worked okay but was never great. The brake pads are attached to the inside of the brake with powerful magnets, at least if I'm thinking about the right thing. The one attached to the moving piston will never settle quite the same way each time you release it. Get the alignment as good as you can and call it a day. If you don't have a good set of instructions to follow, the ones for the SRAM BB5/BB7 are pretty good and you can download them from their web site.

Mechanical disc brakes' performance is affected by how well the cable housings were finished. They need to be very square within the ferrules, and there needs to be very little friction in the housing.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Yes there is a bedding in process,what you do is get going 10 or mph ,put the brakes on hard ,release, repeat a few times. As far as rubbing the rotor could be warpped or bent .Check it by spinnig the wheel and wactching the rotor,you can straiten the rotor some with a adjustable wrench.
    I'll have to try that out. I was thinking the rotor was bent a little but if remember correctly, it was fine but I'll definitely have to take a second look. I'm out of town now so I won't be able to just yet. But I'll be back when that time comes around.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    It's a 2013 bike. Return it and buy one for your "real" figure.

The really high-yield parts swaps are the contact points. It's really nice to have my cockpit really set up, a saddle I like, pedals I like, and tires I like.

After that, things start getting a lot higher-dollar and also make a lot less difference in the ride.

Your brakes should break in about as much as they're going to within the first ride. I had a Novela on the front of a commute bike for a while. It worked okay but was never great. The brake pads are attached to the inside of the brake with powerful magnets, at least if I'm thinking about the right thing. The one attached to the moving piston will never settle quite the same way each time you release it. Get the alignment as good as you can and call it a day. If you don't have a good set of instructions to follow, the ones for the SRAM BB5/BB7 are pretty good and you can download them from their web site.

Mechanical disc brakes' performance is affected by how well the cable housings were finished. They need to be very square within the ferrules, and there needs to be very little friction in the housing.
    I have pedals ready to be put on that I had on my old bike and I really liked them. I'm DEFINITELY getting a new saddle. But I'll get tires at some point down the road. When I get back home I'll see what I can do.