Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

upgrade trek 4100 or buy a new bike?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MillerSHO 
#1 ·
I bought a Trek 4100 when I was in school, rode to campus during the week and rode trails on the weekends. Figured if I took up trail riding I'd just buy a new bike or parts or whatever whenever the time came. I rode the hell out of it, everything's worn out and sloppy, but I never cared since the trails I ride are relatively flat, the hilly sections aren't bad, I only take small drops usually, 1-2 ft

The time has come and I'm wondering if I should buy a new bike and or keep the 4100 aluminum frame and just replace all the components. My biggest concern regards replacing the fork. According to Trek docs, the head angle is 70.5 with a 70mm fork, how much would an 80mm or 100mm fork affect the characteristics? I imagine 100mm would slacken both head and seat angles considerably

I have no problem buying a new frame if I need to, just looking at various options and the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forums

Quite the dilemma you have on your hands. Sounds like the bike has served you well, but my advice would be to put it out to pasture by relegating it to a commuter. It's a decent entry level bike, but I don't know that the frame on it is such that I'd sink money into building it back from the ground up. In the long run it will be less expensive to shop hard for a good deal on a new bike, or a used one in very good condition.

Bob

#7 ·
Ya just drop a few dollars into your 4100 to fix a few important things after you buy your new bike, it's not worth to upgrade that bike.

IMO I don't even think their highest hardtail frame the SLR is worth dropping a bunch of dough into let along the one that's on the 4100.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.