1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Upgrade strategy (yes another what should I do thread)

After a couple years of riding now I'm feeling the need for some upgrades/worn out parts. Was debating between two strategies and wanted to see what others have done. Is it better to upgrade parts on my current frame here and there and eventually a year or two down the line buy a different frame and swap the components over to it. Or would it be better long term to string my bike out with used parts if something breaks and save the upgrade money for an entire new bike 1-2 years out. I know there's no perfect answer.

Picture Unrelated
    These threads might help you out:

To build or not to build……
    I made a very long post about a closely related subject (the OP had identified a bike to switch to already) here:
    Second Bike

The cliff notes version:
    Complete bikes get you a better value
    Upgrading parts as you go is easier to afford

Your particular budget and riding preferences should determine what route you go.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    depending on what you have you might only need a fork and/or wheels to make the bike much better.

if you plan on swapping more than that its probably cheaper just to get a new bike.

really just depends on what you have now , what your looking to upgrade, and how much you want to spend.