1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

To upgrade or replace

Alrite here it goes... I have not ridden in 15 years (except with my kids around the neighborhood). Kids are full blown teenagers and soo much fun now. I have my old GT Karakoram hardtail circa 1993 or 4. Recently we discovered 220acres close to home with hills jumps gravel sand mud. Yeah a playground. Well we go there 3x week and have a blast. To my question: I'm older and quite softer. 5'11 255lbs. This bike is killing me! I think I would ride more and hopefully drop a few if the bike was more comfortable. Should I upgrade with shocks etc or replace the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: To upgrade or replace

What part of your local ride causes the pain? Where are you feeling the pain? If this is a problem sorted by different equipment, On a bike that old, time to get another bike. Either new or 4year or newer used would be my rec

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Time to go check out some new bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    First let me say thanks for the replies...
    What I want is something with some suspension that I can ride over a variety of surfaces. While I like my bike and the components are (I think) good even for today Shimano XT rapidfire paired with deore lx crankset and deore dx cassette/derailer. I was wondering if putting rock shox on it would be enough. Is my current the bike worth anything? How much is it worth if I sell and buy a new/newer bike? Pandoras box here but any suggestions on full suspension bikes for heavier guys?

mtbr member
    How much are you willing to spend?

Your GT isnt worth very much. $50?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Probably a grand

mtbr member
    Don't upgrade it then(I would still keep it). That bike is 20 years old and technology has come a long way since then. You can get a decent new bike, or a really nice used bike for $1000 these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah I get it - I guess I was trying to keep cash in my pocket and partially solve the harsh ride by buying front shox but it sounds like you saying that doesn't make much sense. Thanks for your input

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Your old bike is probably not compatible with shocks of today, you have the old style brakes while todays shocks require disc or at least V-brakes. You may be able to find some old shocks that would work on ebay but then they will not be as good as the newer shocks. My vote is to get yourself a new bike and enjoy. Shop around, learn about todays bikes and check out ebay and CL if you cannot afford a brand new bike. So much has changed since the early 90's. My bike is a 93 Specialized Rockhopper comp FS and I just rebuilt the Manitou 4 shocks and replaced the headset on it. A new bike would be better but I cannot afford it right now. Buy on sale or used, you can get a nice bike for under $800. Good luck.

mtbr member
    There are people out there that still love the older bikes so you're GT Karakoram is worth more than $50. I saw one that sold on Ebay recently (late 80s model) for $300. I sold my early 90s Marin Pine Mountain last year for $300 with a jacked up front future shock. These people buy them for nostalgic reasons.

You'd end up with a pretty nice bike for $1000.

2006 Rocky Mountain ETS-X 50 Custom -Large - Pinkbike

2008 Felt Q620 19.5" men's mountain bike

This one may need a new seat, but for the most part, its not a bad deal. The components are lower end as well as the fork but it will get you out there riding with your kids with the ability to upgrade later on if you wanted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Notamotorcycle View Post
    Yeah I get it - I guess I was trying to keep cash in my pocket and partially solve the harsh ride by buying front shox but it sounds like you saying that doesn't make much sense. Thanks for your input
    if you're going to be riding regularly, you'll probably spend more $$ repairing your old bike than getting newer model. If you are able to sell your old bike for hundreds as some posters here have been able to, i wouldnt' hesitate.