1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

I ride a Norco fluid 9.2. My first upgrade was a KS LEV dropper. Love it. Looking for some advice on a second upgrade. Most likely I will just ride it till something breaks but on the same hand I enjoy upgrading components and doing the work myself. Any idears?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You could throw on a SLX Plus rear derailleur and SLX brakes. CRC has good pricing and Jenson matches.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    You could throw on a SLX Plus rear derailleur and SLX brakes. CRC has good pricing and Jenson matches.
    What are the benefits of a higher end derailleur? Obviously upgraded brakes stop better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The clutch mechanism on these new derailleurs will reduce or eliminate chain drop.
    And greatly reduce the noise of chain slap. You get a quieter ride. $65.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Wheels are where you are going to feel the most difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

The clutch mechanism on these new derailleurs will reduce or eliminate chain drop.
    And greatly reduce the noise of chain slap. You get a quieter ride. $65.
    Do you need new chain? New crank? New cassette? If you switch out the derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Wheels are where you are going to feel the most difference.
    Why is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishermanPNW View Post
    Do you need new chain? New crank? New cassette? If you switch out the derailleurs.
    No. You will have to undo the lower jockey wheel to get the derailleur off and the same with the new one if you prefer not to break the chain, unless you have a removable link already. KMC links work for 10sp.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

No. You will have to undo the lower jockey wheel to get the derailleur off and the same with the new one if you prefer not to break the chain, unless you have a removable link already. KMC links work for 10sp.
    Sweet thank you. When I bought the bike my LBS said that's one of the first things he would replace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why is that?
    For wheels you can get several benefits.
    Lighter weight makes them spin up quicker and easier. You climb over thing easier.
    You can also go wider inside dimension(30-35mm) for better sidewall support in cornering and less washout. You get more volume for more cushion and better climbing traction. You can run less air pressure.
    But you are spending $600+ with the low side cost for when you lace your own with Chinese carbon rims.
    Wheel building is easier than you think and fun. I use a Park TM-1 tension gauge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

For wheels you can get several benefits.
    Lighter weight makes them spin up quicker and easier. You climb over thing easier.
    You can also go wider inside dimension(30-35mm) for better sidewall support in cornering and less washout. You get more volume for more cushion and better climbing traction. You can run less air pressure.
    But you are spending $600+ with the low side cost for when you lace your own with Chinese carbon rims.
    Wheel building is easier than you think and fun. I use a Park TM-1 tension gauge.
    Sounds like something I would totally be interested in. Might have to start looking into that.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

Thank you!! Looks like 145 a piece?

mtbr member
    Thank you!! Looks like 145 a piece?
    That is just for the rim. no spokes, hubs, or building.

Full wheelset from them is about $500 plus shipping. They make good wheels for the money though.

I wouldn't spend money on drivetrain parts unless you brake or wear something out. You could buy a single narrow wide chainring and go with a 1x10 drivetrain which is about $50. It's not for everyone though.

elixir brakes are great when they are working.

My advice, go out and ride. You already have a solid bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Upgrade to entry bike

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    That is just for the rim. no spokes, hubs, or building.

Full wheelset from them is about $500 plus shipping. They make good wheels for the money though.

I wouldn't spend money on drivetrain parts unless you brake or wear something out. You could buy a single narrow wide chainring and go with a 1x10 drivetrain which is about $50. It's not for everyone though.

elixir brakes are great when they are working.

My advice, go out and ride. You already have a solid bike.
    Much appreciated!