1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

upgrade the drive terrain question

Hey,

I have the Wolf Ridge 6.7, and i would like to upgrade the drive terrain to X9/X7
    and have a few questions:

this is my upgrade part list:

SRAM X9 9 Speed Trigger Shifters
    SRAM X.9 9-Speed Long Cage Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X.7 GXP 3X9 Crankset (175mm)
    SRAM X.9 Front Derailleur (???????????)
    SRAM PG-970 9 Speed Cassette (11-34)
    Sram PC-971 Chain with Powerlink Gold

here is my problem I don't know what Front Derailleur to buy
    SRAM X.9 Front Derailleur 31.8 or 34.9? and High or low and T/P or B/P?.

can anyone help me to choose the right Front Derailleur?

mtbr member
    You can usually get an idea which clamp size you need by the diameter of your seatpost. If you have a 30.9 seat post, then more times than not, you'd need a 34.9 clamp size. You can try looking on the inside of your seat clamp since some have the diameter stamped on there.

If you're derailleur cable is routed trough the bottom of your bike and under your bottom bracket tube, then you'd need a bottom pull. If your cable comes from where your seat clamp is and runs down, then you'd need a top pull.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    You can usually get an idea which clamp size you need by the diameter of your seatpost. If you have a 30.9 seat post, then more times than not, you'd need a 34.9 clamp size. You can try looking on the inside of your seat clamp since some have the diameter stamped on there.

If you're derailleur cable is routed trough the bottom of your bike and under your bottom bracket tube, then you'd need a bottom pull. If your cable comes from where your seat clamp is and runs down, then you'd need a top pull.
    Thank you, this helped.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't see cable housing on your list.
    REI has a 25' roll of Jagwire for 24 and slick cables for 6 ea.
    A continuous run to the rear will make lower level components perform like higher quality parts.
    Drill out the stops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you are buying all that, why not go 10 speed? Seems to be better deals on 10 speed components lately than 9.
    You should match the front derailleur type to the same as you are currently running. Use calipers to check your seat tube diameter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    If you are buying all that, why not go 10 speed? Seems to be better deals on 10 speed components lately than 9.
    You should match the front derailleur type to the same as you are currently running. Use calipers to check your seat tube diameter.
    SRAM X.9 DRIVE TRAIN BUILD KIT + FS + no tax in most states 292$ - Slickdeals.net

can't find some thing to beat this price........
    Last edited by karelson; 08-09-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: wrong link

mtbr member
    I still need some help with this. I understand that a Large frame AT3 (Nashbar 26") and 2013 Karakoram 2.0 29er would both be:

Crankset: 175
    Front Derailleur Size: 31.8
    9 Speed Cassette Size: 11-34

But I have no idea what either bike would be for Front Derailleur type. High T/P? High B/P? Low T/P? Low B/P? Can anyone help? I can't find any confirmation on that option, and I'm not used to those terms.

mtbr member
    This site has the basics for front derailleur types.
    Front Derailleur 101
    A little more detail here:
    How to Buy a Bicycle Front Derailleur : CanadaBicycleParts Support

mtbr member
    Very helpful. The 26" bike I have that needs some new parts anyway currently have a low derailleur, with cables coming from the top, so I ordered the Low T/P, along with the 175mm crank, 31.8 tube size and 11-34 cassette. I also went ahead and ordered a bunch of the custom bike tools I'll need to get everything off and on properly, and I'm going to try to do this myself in the basement, and see how that goes. Should be fun!