1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Upgrade disc rotors, easy or too involved?

I have a 2009 Kona Hoss with 6" disc rotors, thinking of moving up to the 8" rotors for better stopping power, is it a simple matter of just changing out the disc rotors for the 8' or is there alot more work (and cost) than that? Can the brake be adjusted to accomodate the bigger rotor?

Thanks!
    Rueben

T.W.O.
    Almost that easy. Since the Hoss is a hardtail I'm not sure what fork does it have on there and will it take 8". In general you'd need the rotor and the brake adapter. That's all. How much do you weight why do you feel you need the 8". 7" rotor would fit most fork for sure.

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    The reality is the 6" would be more than enough for the average rider. Unless you weigh a lot or do radical down hill; the breaks you have will be more than enough!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Or just make sure the current brakes are working at 100%.

mtbr member
    I do ride alot of singletrack/downhill and just thought since the 6" is working good, then the 8" would be much better.
    Rueben

T.W.O.
    Yeah, why not. When I got the Magura Wotan fork the minimum rotor size is 8" I thought it was too much, I was using shimano XT brake with that and modulation was never an issue and be careful you'll get addicted to the power quickly. My friend ran 8" rotor on his Moto-lite and he loves it.

mtbr member
    Not necessarily. You might find it to be more stopping power in front than you need or want. If the 6" rotor is adequate, your probably better off spending your money on a different upgrade.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    8 in the front can be nice....you'll simply need an adapter for the type of disc mount you have on your fork (I.S. or post mount)...

BUT....8 in the rear (damn...that sounds nasty) is overkill IMO....it's waaay too easy to jack your rear rotor up on rocks...and really adds zero benefit to actually stopping.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

usually cranky
    8 in the front is good, 6 in the rear is fine. all you need is a bigger rotor and the appropiate adapter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    8 in the front is good, 6 in the rear is fine. all you need is a bigger rotor and the appropiate adapter.

Damn, 6 in the rear sounds like a lot to handle