1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which single upgrade should I get?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rock Shox front forks (currently have mediocre Suntour).

5 38.46%
  • Hydraulic brakes.

1 7.69%
  • Upgrade my Shimano derailleurs and gears.

1 7.69%
  • Better tires.

2 15.38%
  • Change plastic stock pedals with new metal ones.

4 30.77%

Thread: Upgrade Advice

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Upgrade Advice

So, I have the UCC Dynamite mountain bike with front suspension. I may have a little money soon to do one upgrade. I use the bike to commute, but also trail riding, and I want to start taking advantage of the mountains we have around here. So, I a,m just asking for your opinion here. If I can get one upgrade, which should I get?

T.W.O
    Save your money till you can buy a new bike.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    Save your money till you can buy a new bike.
    Unfortunately, that would take too long!

banned
    Sep 2012
    FYI - Suntour is starting a trade-up program in the US. Not sure since you're stuck in China.

more info: Fork Help

-S

T.W.O
    Tubes tire crank and wheels are all rotating weight that is the most notable upgrade to the bike. If you wanna do brakes I would strongly recommend bb7 instead of hydros. For the same price they are much stronger and easier to work with
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

ready to ride
    Well normally I would say save that money and put it towards a new bike. However I recall you are in China. So that might change a few things. I guess for one is how long do you you plan to be in China. I assume you aren't Chinese with a name like Matt. So I can see not spending a lot on a be that may be difficult to carry elsewhere.

I would say unless there is a particular part that is giving you issues or you would like to see better performance in ride it into the ground and replace later.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

AZ
    banned
    Tires, don't sink a boat load of money in upgrades.

official eMpTyBRain
    Ride it until something breaks or wears out. In the meantime, hold onto your money and save even more for when the time comes.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Tires, brake pads and pedals
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

banned
    Sep 2012
    ...I'm leaning towards cheapo mods too.. tires.

mtbr member
    Pedals first, those plastic pedals are pretty much just dangerous offroad. Then I agree with everyone else, go for good tires. Good tires will change the way your bike feels completely.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Pedals, tires, maybe a saddle or stem if you need that to get a good fit.

Then stop throwing money at the damn thing! Stems are cheap, you can move your favorite tires, pedals and saddle to a new bike; the rest you just lose.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok, ok lol. I will just save my money for a new, full-suspension bike, although it may take me a year to save. And, I do plan to be in China long-term.

Flow like water
    Pedals and tires. Tires only after you learn what the stock ones are like, and how they work on trails.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    When you say commute, do you mean it is left outside on a bike rack throughout the day? If that's the case, I would recommend spending good money on a respectable bike lock + extra cables. The last time I was in China, the commuter bike population there was about the same as in US cities - that is to say, cheap bikes to not draw attention from thieves. Yours definitely will if it's locked outside all day.

As for real upgrades, I would say replace anything that you genuinely find uncomfortable in terms of fit. Outside of that, light tires are the best bang for the buck.