Upgrade Advice

Printable View

• 12-26-2012
    mountainmatt
    Upgrade Advice
    So, I have the UCC Dynamite mountain bike with front suspension. I may have a little money soon to do one upgrade. I use the bike to commute, but also trail riding, and I want to start taking advantage of the mountains we have around here. So, I a,m just asking for your opinion here. If I can get one upgrade, which should I get?
  • 12-26-2012
    pfox90
    Save your money till you can buy a new bike.
  • 12-26-2012
    mountainmatt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pfox90 View Post
    Save your money till you can buy a new bike.

Unfortunately, that would take too long!
  • 12-26-2012
    shibiwan
    FYI - Suntour is starting a trade-up program in the US. Not sure since you're stuck in China.

more info: http://forums.mtbr.com/9960280-post36.html

-S
  • 12-26-2012
    pfox90
    Tubes tire crank and wheels are all rotating weight that is the most notable upgrade to the bike. If you wanna do brakes I would strongly recommend bb7 instead of hydros. For the same price they are much stronger and easier to work with
  • 12-26-2012
    mattnmtns
    Well normally I would say save that money and put it towards a new bike. However I recall you are in China. So that might change a few things. I guess for one is how long do you you plan to be in China. I assume you aren't Chinese with a name like Matt. So I can see not spending a lot on a be that may be difficult to carry elsewhere.

I would say unless there is a particular part that is giving you issues or you would like to see better performance in ride it into the ground and replace later.
  • 12-26-2012
    AZ
    Tires, don't sink a boat load of money in upgrades.
  • 12-26-2012
    Hawg
    Ride it until something breaks or wears out. In the meantime, hold onto your money and save even more for when the time comes. :thumbsup:
  • 12-26-2012
    mitzikatzi
    Tires, brake pads and pedals
  • 12-26-2012
    shibiwan
    ...I'm leaning towards cheapo mods too.. tires.
  • 12-26-2012
    One Pivot
    Pedals first, those plastic pedals are pretty much just dangerous offroad. Then I agree with everyone else, go for good tires. Good tires will change the way your bike feels completely.
  • 12-26-2012
    AndrwSwitch
    Pedals, tires, maybe a saddle or stem if you need that to get a good fit.

Then stop throwing money at the damn thing! Stems are cheap, you can move your favorite tires, pedals and saddle to a new bike; the rest you just lose.
  • 12-26-2012
    mountainmatt
    Ok, ok lol. I will just save my money for a new, full-suspension bike, although it may take me a year to save. And, I do plan to be in China long-term.
  • 12-26-2012
    DavyRay
    Pedals and tires. Tires only after you learn what the stock ones are like, and how they work on trails.
  • 12-26-2012
    Zuarte
    When you say commute, do you mean it is left outside on a bike rack throughout the day? If that's the case, I would recommend spending good money on a respectable bike lock + extra cables. The last time I was in China, the commuter bike population there was about the same as in US cities - that is to say, cheap bikes to not draw attention from thieves. Yours definitely will if it's locked outside all day.

As for real upgrades, I would say replace anything that you genuinely find uncomfortable in terms of fit. Outside of that, light tires are the best bang for the buck.