1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Upgrade?

Hello Folks,
    Ok, new to Mountain biking. Purchased a Trek 4300 and have been riding every weekend at Local park, (Markham, Ft Lauderdale), I see lots of bikes with Disc Brakes and read lots about upgraing forks, headsets, bars, derailers etc. My question, should I even be concerned about upgrading @ this point and if so what would be a good first upgrade? Forks, go with Disc, Derailer?
    Here are the Bike specs;

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4300/

Thanks in advance for the input.

spec4life???..smh...
    Upgrading is a very slippery slope. Once you start it seems like everytime you look at your bike you want to get a new something. Saying that dont upgrade anything mechanicly right now, fork and whatnot, concentrate on contact points. Seat, grips, pedals, tires. These parts will defenitly increase your bike enjoyment. If you want better brakes get you a set of Kool stop dual compound mtn brake pads, wow they are 100 times better than stock rim break pads. I like them better than my freinds disc.

Right now just ride. Dont upgrade componets untile they break then make modest upgrades. No need to stick top of the line parts on an entry level bike. You will end up with more in upgrades than in the bike. Stick with contact upgrades and look into those brake pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree about the v-brakes, I gots Kool stops and they get the job done. I tend to mess around with tires as well, the web may reveal some good deals and this can change your ride somewhat. Maybe try a fatter, knobbier tire in front for starters, just get one that seems reasonable and well reviewed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thanks,

Kool Stop.....they get rave reviews. Think I'll pick up a set, as for pedals.... Mine take a beating! They're half black and half silver from the digs. Not to mention I'm sliiping off as much as I'm staying on. Which raises the questions, Platform or clippless. I like the idea of clippless but needing to clip in and out for me (a confident beginner) may be a pain in the posterior, not to mention the shoes. Any suggestions on a decent set of pedals, either clipless or Platform?
    Thanks again for the advice.

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBiker
    Kool Stop.....they get rave reviews. Think I'll pick up a set, as for pedals.... Mine take a beating! They're half black and half silver from the digs. Not to mention I'm sliiping off as much as I'm staying on. Which raises the questions, Platform or clippless. I like the idea of clippless but needing to clip in and out for me (a confident beginner) may be a pain in the posterior, not to mention the shoes. Any suggestions on a decent set of pedals, either clipless or Platform?
    Thanks again for the advice.

As far as pedals go, clipless id look at the shimano m520 as they are eaisily adjustable and very affordably priced and platforms id just look at some of the pedals with the replacable pins -seems wellgo makes some pretty good ones.

Either way you go you will need to pair them with a good set of shoes. In that area there are a multitude of good clipless shoes just make sure you get a pair of spd compatible ones, as far as platform shoes the 5 10's have a huge following on this site however i beleive a cheap pair of skate shoes from walmart work well.

mtbr member
    while we are on the subject of upgrades instead of making a new thread i will just ask it here. How can i upgrade tires to match the type of trails i ride
    There's Nothing Like Riding in The North Georgia Mountains

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by zbmoss
    while we are on the subject of upgrades instead of making a new thread i will just ask it here. How can i upgrade tires to match the type of trails i ride

Kinda hard question without seeing or knowing the terrain you ride. Look at whats on all the other experienced riders bikes next time your on the trails.