1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Up grade

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Up grade

Well I did my first upgrade on my Scott aspect .I put a set of clipless pedals on it.not sure if it was a good idea being a rookie rider and all.haven't had a chance to go on the trail yet just the yard and drive way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    good luck learning clips is an adventure.

Lord of the Chain Rings
    Practice stopping and starting on the grass. Make sure someone videos it for some great laughter now and through the years!
    Uzzi

mtbr member
    Start with the tension on the loosest setting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ha,yea there will be some cuts and bruises for sure.

mtbr member
    Its all about muscle memory. A good tip is to just put yourself in a doorway, so that you can hold yourself up so that you can just practice clipping in and out. When I first started on clipless pedals, I use to spend about 20 minutes a day just doing that while I watched TV. After just a week of that, it was much easier. After a month or two, it seems like second nature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was doing that out in the garage,and then I would take off and unclip real quick. I know it will take awhile to get used too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You're probably gonna fall a couple of times but it's no big deal. Most of us fell over a few times before we completely go used to them. It happens at first because you just forget you are clipped in and by the time it dawns on you it is too late. Once you get past those first few falls you'll be fine and it will become second nature to unclip as you are slowing down to stop. As other's have said, set them loose at first, practice some where in the grass and clip/unclip a bunch and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Keep at it, things will get better. Commitment. Here's my story, got my clipless on a Thursday put them on Friday night fell a couple of times in the yard and raced Saturday morning. Only fell twice during race been riding clipless ever since. Definitely helps with climbing...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Clipping out become natural pretty quickly. After the doorway and lawn steps, you wanna spend a little time riding some less challenging terrain while making a point of keeping in mind the fact that you're riding clipless. Do a 'training ride' with a bunch of random stopping and starting to give yourself a chance to get comfortable with action. Start out doing plenty of planning ahead and making sure you're fully clipped out before you come to a stop. Do this deliberately 40 times or so and it should start feeling natural.

Tip for clipping in that works for me, if you're having any trouble with it - just start pedaling. Concentrate more on getting the pedals spinning than on lining your cleat up. Your foot will usually just find it's way to the right spot after a few revolutions.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    "Upgrade," or "Upgrayedd?"

Sorry for the sidetrack Keep at it, riding with clipless becomes second nature after a while.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    As someone already said, it's about commitment! When I switched, I just went straight ahead and hit the trails full bore after about 10 minutes of playing around in the parking lot with clipless for the first time. I didn't have a fall until about a week later riding around on some round logs in the back yard You'll definitely have a fall or two, and you may have some in the future, too, but keep at it. You'll appreciate the benefits of riding clipped in, or you'll find out very quickly that it's not for you.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...