1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Under $500 MTB? Please help a poor noob

Hello guys and girls!

Please don't kill me before reading... I know, I know... too cheap, better buy a used one.. cheap suspension.. I know.
    The thing is:
    I live in Brazil, where a GT aggressor 3.0 costs US$600. But I'm going to LA in September, so I've been doing some research and maybe I can get a nice bike for less than $500? Maybe a cannondale trail 6 or 5? Or a hybrid like the diamondback trace sport?
    Yes, they're horrible bikes and should be burned along with the person who asks questions about them, but please... I just want an OK bike so I can start pedaling again after 30 years (I'm 43). I'm not going pro, believe me. A nice frame with ok components that can be upgraded one day and that will provide a pleasurable ride will do.
    Any suggestion is welcome!
    Oh, if anyone could suggest a good store in LA (other than performancebike, helenscycles, rei) I'll really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Re: Under $500 MTB? Please help a poor noob

Get one that fits, check pink bike and craigslist set up test rides. There are good deals out there.
    I got my 07 gt I drive 5(force) for $500, granted the components weren't amazing but they weren't bad, didn't bother me cuz I swapped all mine over.

Sent from my HTC EVO LTE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The BD Gravity Point 1 with a Raidon air fork upgrade will get you on trails for 619.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

You would need to get things going with shipping to your LA location.
    Might as well get this SLX front brake for 70 from Bluesky.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M666 IceTech Disc Brake w/Adapter

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    What would be wrong with purchasing from one of the larger resellers? Perf Bike, REI etc..? It's not like you are going to end up dealing with them permanently. You are flying up purchasing a bike and leaving the country.
    Better to end up dealing with one of the larger stores that will let you test ride, set up a bike for you and purchase whatever previous models are on sale (That way you can save $$$).

Do keep in mind that they can offer larger discounts than your normal mom and pops bike shop, since they purchase in volume in comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Check out diamondbacks in ***** Sporting goods. Go to their website and find one you like, then buy at store. Listen i took a 2001 trek 4300 that i purchased for 150 on a moderate trail for my first time. You don't need a $3000 to enjoy mountain biking. Would my ride be more enjoyable and safer with a 3k bike? Maybe so, but who cares, i had a time of my life.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2013

That's d i c ks sporting goods

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does it have to be new? You could check Craigslist during your time in LA, and get more for your money.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The brand name may have a little more cachet, but I don't think the cheaper Cannondales are better bikes than the more expensive GTs. Also, figure out how much it's going to cost you to get the bike back to Brazil. Air travel and shipping can both be really expensive with something that large.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks to everyone for all this great info. I don't have anything against the big stores, I just wanted to know if there's one that I couldn't find. Performance Bike is actually close to the hotel I'll be staying in.
    I don't really want to buy used because I'm not that knowledgeable, I could end up with a lemon...
    Bringing it to Brazil won't be much of a hassle, the airline lets us check in two volumes (size doesn't matter), so I just have to bring one suitcase and the bike. Customs, on the other hand, has a $500 limit (dollars).
    Brand name is a big plus, I can sell the bike later for a profit here, which is great.
    The bike that seems to offer the most for its price is the Diamond Back trace sport, available here:
    2013 Diamondback Trace Sport Hybrid Bike -

It's a hybrid but it has nice components for a $450 bike. It'll be either that or a Cannondale Trail 6 which is much worse (apparently, maybe I'm evaluating it wrong).

Thanks a lot everyone, this forum is great, really helpful.

mtbr member
    KHS is not a Wal-mart bike, but they have the price of them. I have never ridden them and never seen one, but maybe it's worth checking out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hotels will except delivery for guests with reservations. The Gravity Point 1 is 419 delivered and it comes boxed and ready to put on the plane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wouldn't get a hybrid if you plan on actually riding a lot of singletrack or trails at all.