1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Under $500: Dawes HM1200, Jamis Durango 1.0, Windsor Cliff 4700, or what?

Ok, so Im new, and I dont have a lot of money to spend on a bike. Actually, my wife doesnt have a lot of money to spend on a bike but she wants to get me one. It must be under $500 and I am always a fan of getting the best bang for my (her) buck.

Three that stand out to me that I can get right now for well under $500 are the three in the title plus a few more I found.

09 Jamis Durango 1.0 $415 @ jensonusa.com
    11 Dawes Haymaker 1200 $370 @ bikesdirect.com
    Windsor Cliff 4700 $350 @ bikesdirect.com
    2010 Motobecane 600HT $400 @ bikesdirect.com
    2009 Motobecane 700HT $450 @ bikesdirect.com

Is there any value in getting the TREK 3700 at just under $500? Any that Im missing that can be bought right now for under $500 (closer to $400 or less is even better)

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by phiberoptik; 06-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any interest in a single-speed? How about a 29'er?

Just got back into mtn-biking and picked up a 2010 Redline Monocog 29'er for $499.00. I absolutely love it! I love the simplicity of a single speed, which you may or may not desire.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

mtbr member
    ive got a '10 Moto 700ht, i like it for the most part, and for the value. count on changing the stem and seatpost though. or at least the stem, its a slippery joke. but the bikes taken a royal beating with minimal maintenance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You're missing the Forge Sawback 5xx.

Since you can't try them out, just get the one with the best components (i.e. spend as much as you can initially).

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Anything from BikesDirect rocks.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I love my '10 Jamis Durango 1, if that's any help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Anyone have a Windsor and love it? BD suggested it although I was leaning towards the 600HT.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    You bet your recent join date and low post count that the Windsor is a great ride. I highly recommend it.

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    I'm looking at ordering a Windsor Cliff 4700 soon, too. LBS has a Trek 3900 and won't go any lower than $590, so the Windsor is a steal considering the components on it (as far as I can tell).

I am brand new to the MTB scene but have been trying to read up on a decent entry level bike for myself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong57
    I'm looking at ordering a Windsor Cliff 4700 soon, too. LBS has a Trek 3900 and won't go any lower than $590, so the Windsor is a steal considering the components on it (as far as I can tell).

I am brand new to the MTB scene but have been trying to read up on a decent entry level bike for myself.

Sometimes having LBS support for warranty / tuneup issues is nice

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong57

YEs, it is an absolute steal! No one can touch it!

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    I agree, it would be nice, but my budget doesn't allow for an extra $250 to accommodate the warranty from the LBS. They'll still be there to help me when I need it (and I will) but I can't pony up the extra dough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Why is the Windsor Cliff 4700 better than the Motobecane 600HT?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phiberoptik
    Why is the Windsor Cliff 4700 better than the Motobecane 600HT?
    Compare the specs - you'll see that they are almost exactly the same, except for price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    You're missing the Forge Sawback 5xx.

Since you can't try them out, just get the one with the best components (i.e. spend as much as you can initially).
    Why can't they be tried? I have a few Bikes direct shops within easy driving distance

ram
    May 2010
    I have a dawes deadeye from BD and I absolutely love it. Once you ride a 29er nothing is the same again. And the best thing about the bike is it is completely easy to customize, whether you wish to ride ss or 1x9, rigid or front shocks, road bike or mtb, this bike can do it all and for the price this bike is the highest quality bike that I have seen around. Hands down. I'm not trying to promote this bike cause everyone rides different but I am highly recommending this bike to you and all that are thinking of getting a new bike. GET IT. The best thing is, you can make it your own. It has no decals and is completey compatible with almost everything. 100% customizable and sure fire to look like no other bike on the market. If you havent already made your choice yet I suggest you strongly consider this bike.
    "I'm gonna show you a hill that would choke a mule."

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TWS32
    I have a dawes deadeye from BD and I absolutely love it. Once you ride a 29er nothing is the same again. And the best thing about the bike is it is completely easy to customize, whether you wish to ride ss or 1x9, rigid or front shocks, road bike or mtb, this bike can do it all and for the price this bike is the highest quality bike that I have seen around. Hands down. I'm not trying to promote this bike cause everyone rides different but I am highly recommending this bike to you and all that are thinking of getting a new bike. GET IT. The best thing is, you can make it your own. It has no decals and is completey compatible with almost everything. 100% customizable and sure fire to look like no other bike on the market. If you havent already made your choice yet I suggest you strongly consider this bike.

Blah blah blah. What was the best thing again?

BTW, I just got out my Ala Carte for the first time this year. I am not sure I am going to go back to a 29er. The 26 is so much faster.
    Keep this in mind. Opinions are like ...... well you know. And there are plenty of both around here. Just get a bike, there are plenty of people here that will encourage you to change everything on it.
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Some of us have a bikes direct as our local bike shop, I have at least thre within a half hour drive