1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

uncomfortable seat

Hey, I am new to the forum. I just got a norco torrent after not riding for about 10 years. I have only been out about six times on it but I find the seat is really uncomfortable. It is a titec berserker. Is it just because I havent ridden in so long that my ass hurts or is it the seat. if it is the seat, any suggestions on a new seat would be appreciated

There's no app for this.

everyone's @$$ is different

and yes, any saddle will hurt after a 10 year break from riding.

I'd call your LBS and tell them you want to swap the Titec for a saddle more to your liking. It should be part of fitting, but it may not be at your LBS so simply ask them to help.

They may have a box of beater saddles to try out until you find one you like.

FWIW, Specializeds' saddles get good reviews as do WTB saddles.

Good luck, welcome back, Jim

mtbr member
    try an SDG Bel Air RL. they have a cromo rail version for about $45 or you can get the one with titanium rails for about $65. very comfortable saddle and not too heavy.

i had a WTB Laser V on my bike for a while and when i switched over to the SDG it was a huge improvment. i do a lot of riding on rough terrain (big rock gardens and roots) on my aluminum hardtail so a comfortable seat is a must for me.

Former Bike Wrench
    Seats are such a personal thing...its hard and somewhat irresponsible to suggest anything. However, I will recommend you visit a Specialized dealer and have your sit bones measured with a handy little device they have (don't worry, no ass grabbing will occur here). This way you will at least know what width of saddle to look at. You may choose to go with a Specialized saddle or something else. Also, some dealers have a "test ride" policy where they either have "loaner" saddles or give you a 24 hour refund policy to allow a test ride on your personal bike.

Good Luck