1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Ultra Instant Bike Tire Inflator Sealer

The other day, my buddy helped someone out on the trail who had an air leak in their tire which soon went to a flat. My buddy lent him his can of Ultra Instant Bike Tire Inflator Sealer, seemed to work pretty well for the time being, assuming that the guy was able to get to his car with the sealent. As he was putting in the green sealer, you can see the tire inflate....although a lot of it seemed to spray on the valve stem and tire itself. Any body use this stuff or something similar that you'd recommend?

Last edited by Tony777; 09-20-2010 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I personally wouldn't use that product...or one like it. Most experienced riders carry a small pump in their Camelback...or co2, tire lever, patches and/or new tube. I'd much rather take a few moments & fix it correctly.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail4me
    I personally wouldn't use that product...or one like it. Most experienced riders carry a small pump in their Camelback...or co2, tire lever, patches and/or new tube. I'd much rather take a few moments & fix it correctly.
    if your tubeless this could be awesome if it was smaller. quick and sealant does a great job if its good sealant.

mtbr member
    a can of that stuff more than likely costs more than a tube..

not so 1337 mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i like the slime stuff. just gotta replace tube in time before you blow out the tube with 6 punctures maybe put more slime in too ha.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YuoGotOwn3d
    i like the slime stuff. just gotta replace tube in time before you blow out the tube with 6 punctures maybe put more slime in too ha.

Slime works this way too, you can put it in the valve stem of a tubed tire after you start to get a leak? It inflates the tire too?

Wino
    I use the 6oz. cans from Wal Mart and it works. It seals punctures from blackberry thorns, not sure about larger holes. Filling a tire without spillage takes practice and is easier with the smaller cans because one entire can fills one tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I really like this product. Let's face it. If you have a flat tire you want to get it fixed fast and get back on the road. This product will let you do just that. I have used on my own bike and have assisted others. If you feel the tube is ruined why not use this product anyway. What have you got to lose?

I like bikes.
    I like patches and since I carry both patches and a mini pump with me at all times, fixing a tube the correct way on the trail takes 5min or less! Then I dont have to touch it ever agin until the next time around. Once I get 2 patches on a tube, I'll replace it when I get home.
    I never use that stuff except in car type emegencies for others. I have a compressor and tire patch kit in my truck and in the trunk of my car, so I'd say that I'll never use the stuff even though I have the Slime can for a trailer flat quick fix.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah i can fix flats fairly quickly.. and even if its not perfect, it'll get you riding and you can change the tube when you get home. i usually have a spare tube in my car, so at least its not too far away if i really need one, but that's really rare.

no trees are safe
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post
    I like patches and since I carry both patches and a mini pump with me at all times, fixing a tube the correct way on the trail takes 5min or less! Then I dont have to touch it ever agin until the next time around. Once I get 2 patches on a tube, I'll replace it when I get home.
    I never use that stuff except in car type emegencies for others. I have a compressor and tire patch kit in my truck and in the trunk of my car, so I'd say that I'll never use the stuff even though I have the Slime can for a trailer flat quick fix.
    Wait Why would you replace a tube after 2 patches? I've had some tubes that were spotted like ladybugs before something happened to them. (Most of the time I just break off the presta valve screw off by accident) The deformation that the patch causes doesnt matter once you air up the tube inside the tire. Dude try it. You wont notice the difference and you'll save some money for a nice accessory or something.

I like bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Millfox View Post
    Wait Why would you replace a tube after 2 patches? I've had some tubes that were spotted like ladybugs before something happened to them. (Most of the time I just break off the presta valve screw off by accident) The deformation that the patch causes doesnt matter once you air up the tube inside the tire. Dude try it. You wont notice the difference and you'll save some money for a nice accessory or something.
    Because I'm a maintenance freak! I'd keep a spare bike on my back if I could find a way to strap it down...hahahahhahaaa
    I dont get flats very often so it's not a big deal really. My buddy had a ton patches on his one tire because heended up buying him a tube because I was tired of him using my pump. He had like $10 worth of patches on just the one tube..lol
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i find its a beginner thing to replace tubes after one patch. my more experienced friends have numerous patches, but my friends who are fairly new are quick to change out tubes because they don't trust them. its just an experience thing i think.

duh
    I don't use these. Changing a tube really isn't all that hard. I usually take a spare tube on the trail to change.