1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Which tyre should I get?

Hey guys, I ride a lot of single track with a mixture of loose and hard dirt. I am unsure as what to get to suit both surfaces. I ride a 27.5 talon.

mtbr member
    I've got Maxxis Ardent on my Kona FS and they grip well in most conditions, plus they roll fairly well on the road. Well, for a MTB tyre anyway.

My friend has Continental Mountain King on his Marin hardtail and these also appear to do a good job, plus they are cheaper.....26 for a pair on ebay UK, where the Maxxis cost me 50.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an ulterior motive for liking Schwalbe. The Rocket Ron is a pretty sweet general purpose tire. Get the 2.35" width unless your bike has really tight clearances. It's a pretty traditional full knob. So, pretty predictable, at least for me.

Though in honesty, anything that's not hyper-specialized should do the job well. IME, a nice, chunky tread works well in soft conditions. And a lot of volume is nice in everything but certain kinds of mud. So if you've got soft conditions sorted out, you're already good for hero dirt.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I went to the MTBR regional forums and searched on tires, found some recommendations for my exact area. I ended up with Kenda slant six and they are pretty big but roll easy and are pretty light. They don't have deep lugs though which is a trade off for rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thank you everyone for your answers, very useful information for me when I wear my current tires out.