mtbr member

Which tyre should I get?

Hey guys, I ride a lot of single track with a mixture of loose and hard dirt. I am unsure as what to get to suit both surfaces. I ride a 27.5 talon.

mtbr member
    I've got Maxxis Ardent on my Kona FS and they grip well in most conditions, plus they roll fairly well on the road. Well, for a MTB tyre anyway.

My friend has Continental Mountain King on his Marin hardtail and these also appear to do a good job, plus they are cheaper.....26 for a pair on ebay UK, where the Maxxis cost me 50.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an ulterior motive for liking Schwalbe. The Rocket Ron is a pretty sweet general purpose tire. Get the 2.35" width unless your bike has really tight clearances. It's a pretty traditional full knob. So, pretty predictable, at least for me.

Though in honesty, anything that's not hyper-specialized should do the job well. IME, a nice, chunky tread works well in soft conditions. And a lot of volume is nice in everything but certain kinds of mud. So if you've got soft conditions sorted out, you're already good for hero dirt.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I went to the MTBR regional forums and searched on tires, found some recommendations for my exact area. I ended up with Kenda slant six and they are pretty big but roll easy and are pretty light. They don't have deep lugs though which is a trade off for rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for your answers, very useful information for me when I wear my current tires out.