1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Two weeks with my Gary Fisher Wahoo...a few questions.

When someone talks about "climbing," what kind of hill are we talking about?

Is there some way to locate actual mountain bike trails in my area?

When biking in an "off the beaten path" area, is it common to have to get off the bike and hike a bit when the terrain dictates?

Thanks.

AZ
    banned
    To find local trails you could begin with your local forum on this board , your LBS is a good place to get info also . Climbing can be gentle gains or hills that you would swear are straight up and go forever . Hike a bike is not uncommon , the more skills and fitness that you get the less hike a bike you will do . Congrats on the new ride , good riding .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Honestly, I thought with all those gears, I could ride up anything. I was severely humbled. I am seeing progress, but just wondered if there was a technique on the short steep stuff. I know the long progressive stuff will just take stamina on my part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben/PA
    Honestly, I thought with all those gears, I could ride up anything. I was severely humbled. I am seeing progress, but just wondered if there was a technique on the short steep stuff. I know the long progressive stuff will just take stamina on my part.
    On short and steep stuff I get low on the bike, stay in the seat and just power up it.

AZ
    banned
    Short steep climbs , upshift a couple of gears and stand up on the pedals and hammer away .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Short steep climbs , upshift a couple of gears and stand up on the pedals and hammer away .
    Can't stand up if it's to steep. Unless your riding on the street. At least I can't. Traction goes to hell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    Can't stand up if it's to steep. Unless your riding on the street. At least I can't. Traction goes to hell.

Is there another way?

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmiller
    when standing on the steeps (with loose dirt) keep your chest above/over your bars...forearms parallel to to the earth (as much as you can)....

here's the trick.....on the power stroke pull back on your bars driving your rear tread into the ground...not UP....pull BACK, parallel to the ground...

this is actually easier in the middle ring (up front)....and trust me...it works...it hurts at first...but it works...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is there another way?
    Nope.

We just welcomed spring here in Salt Lake City wiht a weeklong snow storm. It cleared up a little earlier today and I went out for a ride on the mountains just behind my school. Was trying some of these trails for the first time and I quickly realized that the only way I could get some traction on the REALLY steep stuff was to sink down onto my seat an try NOT to pull back on the handlebars.

On the moderately steep stuff, one could stand up and pedal.. though it would probably just be easier to spin hard on a low gear and try to take a not so straight path.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Is there another way?
    Nope.

We just welcomed spring here in Salt Lake City wiht a weeklong snow storm. It cleared up a little earlier today and I went out for a ride on the mountains just behind my school. Was trying some of these trails for the first time and I quickly realized that the only way I could get some traction on the REALLY steep stuff was to sink down onto my seat an try NOT to pull back on the handlebars.

On the moderately steep stuff, one could stand up and pedal.. though it would probably just be easier to spin hard on a low gear and try to take a not so straight path.

Disclaimer - Bike n00b. Today was like the 2nd trail of my life. DO NOT take to heart technique advice dished out by me

Damn double posts

mtbr member
    You can locate your local trails here

http://trails.mtbr.com/

and here

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php

local jackass
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1911

i was hoping someone would post up single tracks
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    ... I quickly realized that the only way I could get some traction on the REALLY steep stuff was to sink down onto my seat an try NOT to pull back on the handlebars.....
    well how on god's green earth do you keep your front wheel on the ground?

unless your version of steep and mine are different....

mtbr member
    Honestly, I thought with all those gears, I could ride up anything. I was severely humbled.
    The first mountain bike that I bought, I could not even make it the three blocks up a mild hill back to my house. Talk about being humbled! I ran out of gears on the first block of uphill. Today I single-speed that uphill stretch and hardly think twice about it.

The more you ride, the better it gets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    As Chum said, pull back on the bars. It's almost like you're trying to pull the bike back down the hill. Sometimes you might be able to stand, but sometimes you need to stay seated in order to keep traction. I usually slide up on the saddle a bit to keep my weight forward on the front tire, while keeping enough weight on the rear tire. You'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus
    As Chum said, pull back on the bars. It's almost like you're trying to pull the bike back down the hill. Sometimes you might be able to stand, but sometimes you need to stay seated in order to keep traction. I usually slide up on the saddle a bit to keep my weight forward on the front tire, while keeping enough weight on the rear tire. You'll figure it out.
    yah ...i need to correct/clarify my first post.....

i was trying to explain you're not really standing upright or sitting completely....it's more like hovering.....for me anyhoo....

now here's the 'fun' part.....while hovering (chest above bars, forearms parallel to earth) the tip of your saddle is literally inches from poking your chocolate starfish...ugh...

of course...i primarily ride SS....so i'm out of the saddle a fair amount of the time....almost always climbing.....

Misses elastomer shocks
    going up the really steep stuff, you don't want to be standing. hovering is a good word. what i like better is this:

get light on the saddle and scoot forward like you are trying to tickle your exit-only with the nose of the saddle. keep your chest as low to the handlebars as you can. now pedal as smoothly as possible. any spikes in pedal pressure will either break traction or lift the front wheel. the pedal strokes should feel like circles, not mash-mash pistons. lower gears are good, but not so low that you over torque the wheel.

practice, practice, practice.

you'll be amazed at just how steep a hill you can climb once you get some experience under your belt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    well how on god's green earth do you keep your front wheel on the ground?

unless your version of steep and mine are different....

Like a few people have said after my post, I try to get as low as possible, while leaning on the handlebars. This way, I have weight on the rear, courtesy of sitting, and weight on the front coz I'm leaning

MTB skillz = NADA
    The guys I ride with tell me to put my chin down to my handlebars, or very close to it, keep my butt on the saddle and go. I, however, have piss poor technique and instinctively hop up out of the saddle and mash...my rear tire begins to spin and sputter, and I am done.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

usually cranky
    where i ride there is one super gnarly hill i doubt anyone has ever climbed but the rest are just inclines that you can climb in a 32/11-34 setup no problem if you have pretty good legs. ive only hike a biked that hill or if i slip a peddle going up a hill and fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Great stuff guys. I appreciate it. It's getting better. Put another 15 miles on this morning. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    The guys I ride with tell me to put my chin down to my handlebars, or very close to it, keep my butt on the saddle and go. I, however, have piss poor technique and instinctively hop up out of the saddle and mash...my rear tire begins to spin and sputter, and I am done.

Was having that same problem on a climb last week... But before it was to late I remembered to sit down. I'm going to try some of the things being suggested here... But I can't imagine it being easier to stand up unless you ride with a low seat.

The only times I stand up are when my legs really get tired on a long climb.