1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

The two rings in the front?

I only use the small inside front ring, and the big outside ring always hits stuff should/can I get rid of it?

mtbr member
    Nah, makes a good bash guard and you'll use it, eventually.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah, as you get stronger you will find yourself using the small ring less and less. And even now, when going down rooty and rocky downhills, use the big ring. If you crash, the big ring will be covered by the chain, protecting you from the sharp teeth.

That said, it seems a lot of guys are going for 1x10 nowdays. What size are your rings?

mtbr member
    I have 3 front rings and I used all of them. Middle ring for flat riding or gentle up/downs. Little ring for longer sustained climbs. Big ring for pavement or fast descents.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post

That said, it seems a lot of guys are going for 1x10 nowdays. What size are your rings?
    Is 2x10 a size? I have a Stache 7.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, what I was referring to was the number of teeth. You have 38/24. 24 is pretty small -- I don't think that would make a good 1x10 setup. Unless you are riding uphill all the time (I know it SEEMS that way ), you will be using the big ring.

Trek Bicycle

BTW, in case you don't know about cross-chaining -- you want to keep the chain line as straight as possible. Look at the sideways angle of the chain as it comes off the ring in various gear combinations. The less angle the better -- it will wear less and pedal slightly easier.

So while small in the front and a smaller cog in the back might be a high enough gear for level or going downhill, it is better to use the big ring and a medium cog.

You don't have to be anal about avoiding cross-chaining. That's the great thing about a 2x system -- no gear combination is horrible. There is nothing wrong with doing what you have to do to get the ratio you want as fast as possible.

Nice bike BTW. I love hardtail Treks with their G2 geometry. I have a Superfly AL Elite I converted to 2x. I see yours has a "Turbine" ring. From the photo it looks like a RaceFace Turbine ring. That's what I put on mine. They shift VERY well. You have a good setup IMO.

BTW, when it comes time to replace your rings (and I understand that the RaceFace's last a very long time ) you could replace them with a RaceFace 36/24 set. That's what I have. It would give you a little extra clearance and is $10 cheaper than the 38/24.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great info thanks man. I'll try riding with the big ring more. The Superfly AL was on my short list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptex View Post
    Great info thanks man. I'll try riding with the big ring more. The Superfly AL was on my short list.
    There no requirement to ride the big ring, but it is there for a reason. Most people find it useful to have additional ratios. Personally I am not a fan of 1x9 setups as I like bike that has enough gear range for any conditions. I have only one bike I want it to work on steep climbs as well as fast smooth descents.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Remove the big ring and replace it with a bash guard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I used just the big ring last night and the chain bounced off, could it be related to the big ring? Also go a flat seemed to be leaking from around the stem is that possible?

mtbr member
    Was the chain coming off to the outside? You may need to adjust the the H limit screw. If you weren't using the big ring before, you wouldn't have noticed that problem. It controls how far out the front deraillieur goes.

The Park Tool article on it is thorough: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Front Derailleur Adjustments

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also go a flat seemed to be leaking from around the stem is that possible?
    Yes, it is possible. Confirm the exact nature of the leak with a spray bottle and soapy water, or dunk the rim in a bathtub or pool.

Is it leaking where the stem comes out of the rim? Have you converted to tubeless?