1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Two questions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Two questions.

1. Where should your foot be placed on a flat pedal? I place the middle of my foot on the pedal. I see others place there toes on?

2. How far to look ahead?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I normally would ride with the balls of my feet in the middle of the pedal. That way I can adjust, drop my heels easily and keep all of my weight on them. It shouldn't be the middle of your foot or the toe.

Look ahead as far as you need to, to be able to see the terrain before you get to it and have some time to adjust your line, brake, lean, hop, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    When I look ahead I can't see things close to me even in my peripheral vision.
    Does the pedal have to be aligned with the balls of your feet?

mtbr member
    If you feel more comfortable at first with the pedal in the center you can go with that and slowly each ride focus on moving it slightly forward. You definitely dont want it under your toes, but a bit closer to the middle is ok.

Your peripheral vision doesn't have to see all of the details because you have been looking ahead and know what is coming.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    But when something I saw when I looked ahead comes near me don't I need to see it with my peripheral vision?

Yes, that's fonetic
    When you're walking, do you look at your feet? Forward vision will become easier with experience.
    On the foot placement, for the most part the ball is the most effficient place for the foot to be for pedaling. It will also allow your saddle to be a little bit higher (most new riders run theirs too low). If you look at a cycling shoe, the placement of the cleat is adjustable, but slightly so and just around the ball. If you're a jumper with a bad ankle this can be a problem. I've actually started using flats mostly because I like to jump everything I can find and so on the way down I run my foot on the pedal much closer to the arch.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Okay Thank you