1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    1.21 Jigowatts!

Two Auctions - Need Input

There are two auctions from EBay that I am looking at but I am not sure if they are a good deal or what I should bid. I would like your input.

The first is just a frame. Its a Diamondback XTS Moto. Unsure about the year, but I have contacted the seller for that. I have a bike now thats a mix of LX and XT parts which I would transfer over if I won.

Diamondback XTS Moto

The second auction is a 2007 Diamondback XSL Trail. Its a complete bike and has pretty good reviews from this site as well. What do you think?

2007 Diamondback XSL Trail
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

I post too much.
    Those are two bikes for two very different applications, one is for more cross-country/AM purposes, while the other is a freeride/downhill rig. What do you plan on doing with the bike?

Also both are big frames, do you know if they will fit you? How tall are you?

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    Those are two bikes for two very different applications, one is for more cross-country/AM purposes, while the other is a freeride/downhill rig. What do you plan on doing with the bike?

Also both are big frames, do you know if they will fit you? How tall are you?
    I'm 6'1". The 18" bike I have now just feels too small, which is the major reason for moving to something else, otherwise I would stay put.

I am mostly into intermediate trails. I want a bike that does a little bit of everything as the stuff I tend to get into ranges from anything from paved roads to downhill and tight trails.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon

I post too much.
    Then I'd get something more along the lines of the second one. Be aware that seat tube length doesn't matter much in fitting a bike, top tube length is what matters most, what top tube length does your current bike have?

1.21 Jigowatts!
    Quote Originally Posted by snaky69
    what top tube length does your current bike have?
    22.5"
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon