1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Tweak the bike?

Weekend Warrior

Tweak the bike?

I've been riding alot this season (my first season - hence the reason for posting in the beginners corner), on a 29r. I really like it and for the most part I'm pretty comfortable on it, but I feel like I might be able to tweak the bike slightly to get a better feel for it - "to be at one with the bike". Any advice on what I might want to try to tweak on the bike? or not tweak for that matter? I like going, and I do support my LBS, but its like a 2 hour round trip, plus I would like to learn how to "tweak" my bike myself...
    Also just recently got clip-in pedals...right now, the cleat on the bottom of my shoes are all the way forward, what are the advantages to having the celats all the way forward or should I move them back away from the toe?
    "Just keep pedaling, just keep pedaling, just keep pedaling..."

What could go wrong ...
    there are a few things you can do to get a better fit. Try different length and angle stems or riser bars vs flat bars and check your seat height. here is a good place to start - Fit Calculator
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me