Straight outta Woodland

Tubeless dilemma

What I have is a 2015 Giant Trance 2. What I don't have is air in my tires.

That is my problem. Riding around Boise and Kuna I'm constantly getting flats, as many as two in day. If I'm lucky enough to not get a flat, the next time I grab my bike, it has a flat. With my 26" bike I had good luck with Specialized "thorn tubes". My new bike, I bought used and the previous owner drilled the wheels to accept schrader valves. I haven't had any luck finding reasonably priced thorn tubes for a 27.5 with schrader valves.

So here's my dilemma, I'd like to go tubeless but I'm not sure if I can even convert my existing wheels since they've been drilled out. New wheels and tires would cost a lot more money than I can spend. What are my options to pull this off on a budget of $250ish?

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    You can use 26er tubes in your 27.5 bike. Or use presta shims. I think there's shrader tubeless valves too.

mtbr member

Tubeless dilemma

You are fine, most tubeless presta valves want you to drill to a slight larger hole anyways. I converted mine and it's been great. You will need:
    1. Tubeless valves, I went with these because the locknut also had a step down to lock into the shrader sized hole: WTB TCS Presta Valve, 46mm, Brass https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDQPWPA..._SYLvxbGE3DA4P
    2: to seal the rim you can buy say the stans tape, or like me I went with the 1" gorilla tape: 1 in. x 10 yds. Handy Roll Tape
    http://thd.co/1nDapAu

And then your choice of tubeless sealant. I've had it about 6 months now and have learned a couple things. First is that the gorilla tape sticks quite a bit better if you clean the wheel with alcohol first, and then tape the rim and let it sit overnight with the tire and an inflated tube to really hold it down. And second was that when I followed the instructions on the presta valves it says to just press them down with your thumb and hand tighten the nut, I found they would leak and needed a couple turns with some plyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight outta Woodland
    Okay. I've done some research and here is my current plan. Stans flow kit and these WTB Vigilante Tubeless Compatible System Mountain Bicycle Tire (Black - 27.5(650b) x 2.3) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K0QN452..._CgjxxbNZAZW3D

Is the WTB Vigilante a good option for what I'm trying to do? I want to do whatever it takes to make sure this is successful.

mtbr member
    I've used these automotive Schrader valves successfully to make a set of 26" DH wheels tubeless. Azonic Outlaws to be specific.

$12 for a 4-pk on Amazon.

Edited to add:

I made the Azonics tubeless with those valve stems and a few wraps of gorilla tape. In almost 2 years (until I sold the bike) they never burped or lost air for *ANY REASON*, even with like 5 different brands of tires mounted. I abused those wheels with AZ mega-chunk, chest-high drops, side-hill riding on Sedona Red rocks, and even some light lift-served riding in Eastern AZ on a 5" travel bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Not sure you actually need to the full Stan's Kit, usually just Stan's fluid and gorilla tape works fine. Your biggest problem is going to be inflating them, you might need a compressor, if you dont have an air compressor or know anyone that has one you can try a gas station compressor or get a cheap air tank from Walmart.

Pricepoint is doing a good sale on tires right now to save some money: tires | sale | Discounted Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes and Cycling Gear at PricePoint.com

For a good all around tire I would go with the Ardent, it should seal up just fine Maxxis Ardent Single Compound EXO Folding Tire 27.5x2.25 | Maxxis

mtbr member
    I have had good luck using WTB tubeless TCS tires on non-tubeless rims with a layer or two of that 1" Gorilla tape.

Moderator Moderator
    How do you get 2 flats in a day? How many PSIs are you putting in your tubes? I still run tubes and haven't had a flat in a long time. I run about 27-30 PSIs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qdavison View Post
    ... clean the wheel with alcohol first, and then tape the rim and let it sit overnight with the tire and an inflated tube to really hold it down...
    This is good and appropriate when using any tape for tubeless setups, Gorilla, Stan's, or otherwise. If the tape isn't well stuck and conformed to the rim, sealant can get under it and prevent it from adhering, which can lead to leaks and having to redo it. With new tires, it also helps shape the tire which can make it easier getting the beads to seat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    How do you get 2 flats in a day? How many PSIs are you putting in your tubes? I still run tubes and haven't had a flat in a long time. I run about 27-30 PSIs.
    I always had good luck with tubes too but multiple flats can be a reality in the prickly desert or where goatheads propagate.

Straight outta Woodland
    So I took all the advice from this thread and I ordered valves, gorilla tape, sealant, and Maxxis Ardents. Thank you to everyone that offered advice.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Straight outta Woodland
    Okay. So this has been a total disaster. I've been working on this for weeks. Literally everything went wrong. I now have everything I need and I absolutely can not get the bead to seat. Not even close. I'm over $200 into this and it doesn't work at all. I've watched 25 videos on how to to this and it seems so easy. I'm beyond frustrated right now. And on top of it I'm traveling to Dillon Montana for a few weeks for work and was excited to ride out there. But at this point it looks like I'll be loading up my bike with flat tires and buying tubes in Dillon. FML. What the hell am I doing wrong?!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Don't know what you are doing wrong? Explain your process for seating the tires. Are you using a compressor? Are you lubing the bead with soap? How many layers of tape? Some rim/tires combos are super easy, others are a PITA!
    Redline D880
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Roadie

Straight outta Woodland
    Using a compressor and soap and water on the bead. Only one layer of tape. Should I try two or three?

Straight outta Woodland
    Giant SXC-2 wheels.

mtbr member
    Where is the air leaking out of?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Cobra View Post
    Using a compressor and soap and water on the bead.
    Did you remove the valve core?

mtbr member
    As a last resort, you could try the ghetto tubeless method with 24" or 26" tubes.

Straight outta Woodland
    I haven't tried removing the vavle core to inflate them. I'll try that.

mtbr member
    BTW- if you live in the Boise area, you are probably getting flats from goatheads. You can also run slime in your tubes or use a tire liner. Both are heavier options than going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Cobra View Post
    I haven't tried removing the vavle core to inflate them. I'll try that.
    It makes a world of difference, I can't get mine to seat without removing them.

Straight outta Woodland
    Hallelujah!

Pulling the valve core certainly helped. But now that I can see what I was doing wrong, my main problem was that I didn't have enough tape on the wheel so the tire wasn't getting close enough to the wheel to push the bead out. 3.5 layers of Gorrilla tape seemed to be the magic number. 1 layer is not enough for these wheels.

Thank you everyone for the help. I can't wait to test this setup out. Crossing my fingers I'm done with flats for a while.

Straight outta Woodland
    I now have about 50ish miles of dirt on my tubeless setup running ~33psi without any loss of pressure. Probably the most miles I've put on this bike without a flat. To be fair though, its all been in the Dillon\Butte Montana area. Can't wait to see how this setup fairs out home in goat head country.