1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Trying to price a CL find

Hey guys,
    I used to ride a lot when I was younger, but then I left for college...
    Now I'm looking to get back into this sport since it is something I enjoyed.
    Want to actually get a decent bike to start out on, but something under $1000 to not break the bank.

Found this on CL: Santa Cruz Superlight Mountainbike Bike MTB, but doesn't look to me like the price is right. That frame looks at least 2006 to me if not older.

I'm 5'8" - 5'9" depending on the shoes and amount of time I spent at work, so I guess I'm looking for a 'medium" sized bike.

Please advise.

Thanks,
    Vlad

Titanium junkie
    In my opinion, it's not worth what they are asking.
    I would keep looking.....
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    1999 Santa Cruz Superlight LX/XT, upgraded to mechanical disc brakes. At $1000 asking price....seller needs to put the pipe down. Offer no more than $650:

Listing Detail - Bicycle Blue Book
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Trying to price a CL find

Couple things:

Agree on $650 or so. What could drive it down further is status of fork, shock, and chain/cassette.

1)That Manitou might be hard to service now, ask your lbs if its serviceable at all. Also ask if it holds air. How long?

2) has the rear shock ever been rebuilt? Est cost probably $130 to send to fox. Does it hold air as well?

3) bring a chain checker and check the chain wear. If its really worn (80-90) this tells you two things: probably needs a new cassette soon, and, guy might not take good care of his bike. But, its not like every guy who let's his chain go to 90 is lazy with maintenance. If he says 'yeah i made it go 3 chains and this is the last one' he might be on top of it. Hard to tell.

Sent from (redacted by nsa)

Yes, that's fonetic
    If that's indeed a 1999 model (that fork hasn't been made since 2001 I believe) I wouldn't give more than a couple hundred for it. The seller's a little deluded with the value of his 15 year old bike....

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Not in the ball park..
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thanks everyone for the fast input. even with my uneducated eye I could tell that the above mentioned bike shouldn't cost more than $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would not pay $500 for that bike..

edit: just read the first post and replied lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    2) has the rear shock ever been rebuilt? Est cost probably $130 to send to fox. Does it hold air as well?
    FYI - a full Fox rebuild kit for an air shock costs about $15 and the job can easily be done at home. Check Youtube for video walk-throughs.

Redcoat
    Go to Bicycle Blue Book - Trade With Confidence for getting prices on bikes. Older models they may not have specified price but you can at least get all the details of the bike you are looking at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Full suspension bikes (and most all mtn bikes) depreciate like German cars, which is very quickly, the technology has been changing very rapidly. Also, my experience with craigslist has been that bikes are often totally hammered, or barely used at all. The great deals are gone in about an hour from posting, but sometimes great deals are just poorly described and hang out a little longer. 80% of the time with a used bike there is 'the mark of the bonehead' on the bike, which is something setup very oddly or strange, like the seatpost on backwards, a cable housing wrapped around something the wrong way, -so give it a thorough look over before riding, or take it to the lbs for a tuneup if you're not comfortable doing a full tuneup yourself.

mtbr member
    I'm in the DC area too, I saw that bike on CL and shook my head. The seller is almost certainly smoking the rock. If you're shopping for a used bike, and you have your heart set on full suspension, then exercise caution - there's obviously a lot more to wear out / break on an FS bike.

Here are some other full suspension options on CL in the DC area:

Rocky Mountain Spice Looks marginally ragged out, but both the fork (Marz) and shock (Fox) are rebuildable. Talk them down to $300.

GT I-Drive 4 Looks OK, if there is anything wrong it shouldn't be a showstopper. Fork is kind of a boat anchor, but the shock is rebuildable. I-drive pivots are easy to recondition. Should be able to talk them down.

2010 Jamis Dakar XC. Asking $595, I think this is the best price/value option in the area right now.

mtbr member
    That Jamis Dakar is way too big for someone who is 5"9.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    Go to Bicycle Blue Book - Trade With Confidence for getting prices on bikes. Older models they may not have specified price but you can at least get all the details of the bike you are looking at.
    thanks for the tip!! Now I can browse ebay and such more efficiently.