1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Trying to decide between a HT and a FS 29er with limited budget

The FS bike I'd be looking at is the Airborne Hobgoblin and that would be stretching my budget by quite a bit to make that happen. I've been trolling CL for a couple of months here in CO and I'm just not really coming up with much. Seems like most of the FS 29ers that pop up are high end models that are just out of my price range.

I'd really prefer to stay under $1k and that would mean a HT. Lots of good options for me right around that price point.

I like to ride technical stuff and go fast. I know I'll likely eventually want a FS, so I figure I might as well go ahead and try to make that happen.

I guess my main question since I've been out of this sport for over a decade is if it's better to just suck it up and wait it out a couple of months and try to find a bike on clearance. That would probably mean this season is pretty much a wash for me, but if it means getting a much better bike for my buck then it'll be worth it in the long run. I just don't know what type of deals are generally seen toward the end of the season. I'm an avid snowboarder and I know in that industry, 30-50% off is pretty much the norm when you get to the end of the season. Hell, I'm seeing last year's bikes in local shops that are only selling for 10-20% off. Is that normal?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bikes aren't as badly overproduced as a lot of snow sports gear. Although I'd observe that, say, Volkl has the discipline to produce only numbers of skis that sell out. Seems like it's the mistakes as often as the hits that stick around long enough to hit a 50% clearance. Now and then, a few bikes will too, but you can't count on it.

That said, I don't see 10% as the "real" discount. So give the price a push and see how firm it really is. Though it is hard to do better than 30% without a hookup.

For me, my season is worth something.

I think you should either get over 29" wheels or get over full suspension. Do you do better on CL that way?

Bear in mind that a halfway experienced CL seller will yield price too. So don't be afraid to negotiate, especially if it's a bike that's been sitting for a while.

The majors seem to have nailed it with the latest round of rear linkages, but I would still be a bit skeptical of a catalog bike. Take that as you will.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A full suspension isn't an upgrade from a ht, it's a different bike. So, if you want an fs, go with that. But if you're going to ride xc trails and want to do some jumps and technical climbs, an fs can be more of a headache than anything else. It's really a decision of what you're going to ride, not what bike to get. Figure out what you want the bike to do, and get one that will do it. That could be an ht, or fs.. Depends.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk