mtbr member

Trying to clipless again...

I just dug out my old clipless pedals I bought about 8 yrs ago. (Shimano PD-M515) I never gave them a chance. Would having the proper bike set up make a difference? The bike I put them on was a bit too small. I know have a proper fitting bike, (2004 Trek 4300)
    I'm thinking of trying the pedals again. I do expect to fall. Do you think I would have better success trying the pedals with the Trek?
    Brian

mtbr member
    screw the adjusters in so the pedals grab the cleats very loosely. this will make it easy to clip out when the need arises. as you you gain confidence, you can tighten the pedals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    screw the adjusters in so the pedals grab the cleats very loosely. this will make it easy to clip out when the need arises. as you you gain confidence, you can tighten the pedals.
    This ^
    I just switched to clipless and the first couple times and did not adjust the pedals. 9 times out of ten if i did fall it was because i failed to un clip quickly enough when i was coming to a stop, which is pretty embarrassing and a bit painful.

Now that i have adjusted the pedals, it's much easier to use the clipless and i don't think i will go back.

I think bike fit is important so your feet are comfortable on the peddles while they are clipped in.

If you adjust the peddles and you feel more comfortable on the bike, i think you will have a better experience.
    '11 Specialized StumpJumper Comp 29er HT
    '11 Specialized Secteur Elite Compact

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I checked my pedals they at about 3/4 tension. My mistake, the LBS that sold them they were set to easy release. Oh well. Will try them again.
    Thanks Brian

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by NHmtnbke View Post
    I checked my pedals they at about 3/4 tension. My mistake, the LBS that sold them they were set to easy release. Oh well. Will try them again.
    Thanks Brian
    The bike shop probably set them to 3/4 tension because the old SPDs don't have a screw capture clip that keeps them from backing all the way out under the vibration of riding. It is necessary to keep a little tension on the springs in order to keep the pedal functioning properly. Go through a scrap pedal box at a bike shop sometime and you'll probably find all the adjuster screws have been stolen to fix other people's pedals.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    The bike shop probably set them to 3/4 tension because the old SPDs don't have a screw capture clip that keeps them from backing all the way out under the vibration of riding. It is necessary to keep a little tension on the springs in order to keep the pedal functioning properly. Go through a scrap pedal box at a bike shop sometime and you'll probably find all the adjuster screws have been stolen to fix other people's pedals.
    I adjusted the pedals so the red indicator is flush. Did not go beyond that point. I will increase tension so each indicator is barely visible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If you are still having problems unclipping, Shimano makes an SH-56 multi release cleat for the shoes that is easier to get out of. I suffered horribly and fell about 15-20 times 8 years ago when I first tried clip less and swore I would never got back. 4 months ago, I bought the XTR pedals and shimano shoes with the sh-56 cleat, loosened the tension on the pedals all the way and I have never fallen once! (although I have popped off the pedals on jumps a couple times(

CT3
    Hoodwink
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    If you are still having problems unclipping, Shimano makes an SH-56 multi release cleat for the shoes that is easier to get out of. I suffered horribly and fell about 15-20 times 8 years ago when I first tried clip less and swore I would never got back. 4 months ago, I bought the XTR pedals and shimano shoes with the sh-56 cleat, loosened the tension on the pedals all the way and I have never fallen once! (although I have popped off the pedals on jumps a couple times(
    +1 on the sh-56 cleats, saved my butt more times then coming out when i didnt want to. i have xtr985s on the stock tension, with these cleats it so much easier to get out of.

rolling the ankle, pulling up hard with the other foot holding the crank, these are just in case ways. i still unclip normally which is the the side either in or our like the standard sh51

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermiss View Post
    And they will work fine with my pedals? The pedals aren't to old?
    I may have to try them.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I just had my 4th race since going clipless. It was rainy, rocky, rooty and hilly and I fell A LOT.

I am beat up, scratched and sore.

However I could not imagine ever racing or even just riding for that matter without my clipless setup.

The difference to me (clipless vs platforms) is profound.

Stick with it, you'll get the hang of it and never want to go back....
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

Some Dude
    Rode with my platforms the other day down my usual trail. After my feet started bouncing off the pedals down a fast, rocky section, I remembered the benefits of clipless. I was also a little concerned about my shoelaces coming undone...

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by ccs1676 View Post
    Rode with my platforms the other day down my usual trail. After my feet started bouncing off the pedals down a fast, rocky section, I remembered the benefits of clipless. I was also a little concerned about my shoelaces coming undone...
    Put your heels down, it should help.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Anyone else have trouble with "slop" and the SH-56 cleat? I use them with M770 pedals and I often feel a slight gap on the upstroke. It's hard to describe but the cleat pops slightly, but doesn't release (nor do I want it to). It seems that it moves a couple millimeters. I haven't played much with the tension but I want to say it's set to about the halfway point.

The standard cleat didn't have this slop.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Not great news since you already have them, but the Shimano M515 pedals tend to be a little 'sticky' to get out of compared to the M520 and M540 models. For this reason alone, the M520 is the lowest end Shimano SPD that I would recommend to other riders unless you know what you're getting into.

Also, I see people recommending the SH-56 multi-release cleats. Shimano makes an SH-55 multi-release cleat that they recommend for the M515 pedal. The SH-56 is recommended for the M520 and above. I can't say that the SH-56 won't work with the M515 pedals (it probably will), but just know that Shimano went to the trouble to make two different multi-release cleats and make specific recommendations for which cleat to use with a specific pedal:

M515: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830612322.pdf

M520: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830672281.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Not great news since you already have them, but the Shimano M515 pedals tend to be a little 'sticky' to get out of compared to the M520 and M540 models. For this reason alone, the M520 is the lowest end Shimano SPD that I would recommend to other riders unless you know what you're getting into.

Also, I see people recommending the SH-56 multi-release cleats. Shimano makes an SH-55 multi-release cleat that they recommend for the M515 pedal. The SH-56 is recommended for the M520 and above. I can't say that the SH-56 won't work with the M515 pedals (it probably will), but just know that Shimano went to the trouble to make two different multi-release cleats and make specific recommendations for which cleat to use with a specific pedal:

M515: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830612322.pdf

M520: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830672281.pdf
    Hopefully the SH-56 will work for the 515s.
    I didn't know there was a different clip. I was going by the above post. Plus I never read the instruction on the multi release clip. I just read how to adjust tension. I tried looking for the SH-55s could not find any anyways. I ordered the SH-56s through Amazon. I looked for the 55s, they did not offer them.
    The clips will be here today wish me luck...
    Brian

jds
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Also, if you have trouble clipping out, you can angle the cleat inward at the front a little bit so you hit the release point earlier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I broke out my clipless setup today for the first time in the dirt. Great for the 4 mile smooth climb, sucked ass for the technical single track climb ( i ate sh... ) and was great on the XC style downhill. I really need to work on getting out of the pedals faster. I ended up tumbling down the hillside with the bike attached to one foot. All of todays crashes would not have happened if I had platforms.

mtbr member
    I would never want to ride platforms again. Once I got my XT clip in pedals I was sold on them. I started with the multiple release clips to get used to clipping out when needed and after I took a fall because the multi release clip released unexpectedly, I changed to the normal clip for a tighter, what i feel as more secure fitting. The normal clip is perfect for me, and I love them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    clipless I would say is the most bang for the buck when it comes to upgrading performance on the trails, you don't slip and you're using energy more efficiently going uphill which is a plus. only con is getting used to it and after that there's no going back.