1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Trying to buy our first bike and Baby bike trailer

Hi Everyone, I just joined today to this Forum about Bicycles. I try to buy my first Bike at Wa##art, a Schwann which it appears to be a good deal for me, like below 200 usd. Some one told me go to the bike shops, but prices were way higher, then I went to a Di@#s Sporting, and I found the Nishaki kind of hybrid is what they told me. I have read some discussion about department stores vs Bike shops and I got confused. What do you suggest me to do ? I want a bike for me and my wife, we want it to spend some time as a family, but I also want the bike to enjoy the bike trails we have in Columbus, doing long rides. I want to buy a bike that I can attach the baby bike trailer also. I live in a downtown area in which also you can enjoy the commute. The bike that we saw is the Montour Hybrid bike for Womens and Mens and also the Nishiki Adult-A HYBRID.

Tks all for your help

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you plan on riding trails that are dirt with rocks , roots ,ruts you shouls get a mountain bike ,if paved trails a hybrid would be fine. Just like everything esle you get what you pay for.Learn more about bikes ,go to shops and test ride bikes ,borrow friends bikes ,rent bikes ,find demo days to try bikes. The most important thing to do is get a bike that fits. Department bikes mostly only come in one size ,if one fits ,great .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    If you plan on riding trails that are dirt with rocks , roots ,ruts you shouls get a mountain bike ,if paved trails a hybrid would be fine. Just like everything esle you get what you pay for.Learn more about bikes ,go to shops and test ride bikes ,borrow friends bikes ,rent bikes ,find demo days to try bikes. The most important thing to do is get a bike that fits. Department bikes mostly only come in one size ,if one fits ,great .
    +1 Those Dick bikes and Wally bikes really won't cut it on the trails and you'll end up getting hurt, frustrated or quit riding all together. try to find something used if you're on a budget. You can hook a bike trailer on a good trail bike with no problem, I did it for years. Also check out the family riding forum for ideas, that's what they do on that forum. good reasource.