1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Trying to build monster cross

Hi guys.

I'm a female road biker who recently upgraded her components

I'm trying to put together my old components and put it into a new build. I thought an off road will be great since I dont need another bike for the pavement.

I'm thinking of starting with the frame and found this old Specialized Crossroads for sale online. Can someone tell me if this frame is good enough for off road cycling, nothing technical, simply off road. I couldn't find any other info on this frame except that it Specialized Crossroads are hybrid bikes.

Additionally, this is being sold @ USD240. Is it worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'd say it's too much but depends on your local market.
    You should be able to buy a complete older rigid bike for that price.
    You need to think about what you are trying to accomplish.
    In my opinion, monstercross works better with a 29er. You need to get the drop bars up very high so that the drops don't bias your weight too far forward. A 1 1/8 fork works best because of the availability of different stems and ability to put spacers under the stem.
    It's catch 22, you probably want a shorter top tube because the bars put you further forward so that's a smaller frame, but then you want the bars higher too.
    You can get a cross frame with fork for less than that from Planet X or even better, a OnOne Inbred.
    If you are planning on picking up an older 26er, you should probably budget for a new fork so you can have a longer steerer tube.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Are you living in Singapore? I see "Kranji" in your fav trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks Slash5. I guess what im trying to accomplish is a cyclocross, now that i think about it. I checked Planet X but dont ship to where I am.

I'm now looking at Voodoo Hoodoo frame which I think will be better fit to what I'm trying to do. I really do have to stick to the drop handlebars because my shifters are STIs.

I wanted a rigid fork because it will be cheaper, and I don't intend to ride somewhere very bumpy anyway.

@shibiwan, yes I'm in Singapore.

the half breed devil
    Panaracer

here's your tires.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nini101 View Post
    Thanks Slash5. I guess what im trying to accomplish is a cyclocross, now that i think about it. I checked Planet X but dont ship to where I am.

I'm now looking at Voodoo Hoodoo frame which I think will be better fit to what I'm trying to do. I really do have to stick to the drop handlebars because my shifters are STIs.

I wanted a rigid fork because it will be cheaper, and I don't intend to ride somewhere very bumpy anyway.

@shibiwan, yes I'm in Singapore.
    I figured as much. I was born and raised there.

You should get a good fitting on your frame. I'm not sure if there's anywhere in .sg that will do that these days (been gone for 16 years). With the right fitment, you will be more comfortable on the bike, and will perform better and will be able to cycle longer.

Rigid forks are OK for Singapore. There's not much extreme off road stuff there anyways. My guess is you're mostly going to be cycling on paved surfaces anyways.

-S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hi guys.

I'm trying to put together my old components and put it into a new build. I thought an off road will be great since I dont need another bike for the pavement.

I'm thinking of starting with the frame and found this old Specialized Crossroads for sale online. Can someone tell me if this frame is good enough for off road cycling, nothing technical, simply off road. I couldn't find any other info on this frame except that it Specialized Crossroads are hybrid bikes.

its good enough for offroad use, especially since I suspect that as a female you are on the lighter side and not a 250lber like me. the ability to fit 32-35c tires as well as cantilever brakes is what is going to make it offroad worthy for you. rigid fork is fine. The price is ridiculous, i dont think those bikes sold for much more than 300 as complete bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I agree that 240 USD is too much for that frame...it also looks like it is old and does not have mounts for disc-brakes which I'd encourage you to use for any off-road cycling.
    Last edited by Cycle Logical; 11-27-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Front Range Cyclist
    Hi guys.

All depends on what you can find in your size. Price/value is relative to your own needs as well as availability in your market. I can't find XL shirts used at a second hand shop that are any good or at discount places like Tj Max....but my smaller friends clean house while I'm back paying full price.

Ideally I'd suggest going for an old Surly Crosscheck frame. I recommend dirt drops (On One has it's famous Midge on sale right now) or if you typically use narrow bars....look at the Origin 8 Gary.

I'd not go 29er....too heavy and honestly if you are smaller you'll find the lower weight of a lightweight road wheel set with a set of Bruce Gordon Rock n Road tires. I'm 225lbs, ride hard in Colorado with simlilar wheels/tires. Fast, light, fun. Plus it'll roll MUCH faster on road than a 29er.

What many people (forum types) forget is a monstercross is between a 29er and a cyclocross bike. Also, honestly if you are under 5'4"...stay 26".

If you have any questions or need help looking for suitable frames/builds don't hesitate to PM me.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser