Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Try and beat this stupidity

So I go to a local "trail" (mostly flat and not challenging but fun place to get some exercise close to my house) Sunday. I am currently shopping for a hitch rack so in the meantime I'm removing my seat and front wheel and can fit the bike in back of my car.

After my ride my bike and I are filthy which i'm pretty happy about and the ride in general was good. I remove the wheel and rest it on the side of the car and load up the bike. I then sit for a minute in the gate drinking some water and catching my breath. Drive home thinking about how i'm going to clean the bike/car up, how i need to get a rack, going to lube chain etc......

I get home and pull the bike out and have it standing straight up on the rear wheel balancing it with the rear brake as I go to reach for the front wheel.

(this is where you realize I did not say I put the wheel back in the car before driving off)

Hauling ass back to the trail I remember that as I backed out of the gravel lot I went over a little bump which I thought at the time was a stick. Now i'm really stressing thinking I ran over the tire and when I pull up, If its still there, it will be crushed. Really cannot afford a new wheel at the moment. Really hoping that when i get there maybe i just popped the tire? Dreading seeing that I bent the spokes or disc rotor.

Get to the parking lot and see the tire. Pick it up and it appears to be fine. Toss it in the car and haul ass outta there hoping no one saw my stupidity.

When I get home I inspect the wheel closely and see no damage. I took the tire off and the tube and checked the inside of the rim and spun it a few times to see if it was dented or bent at all. Everything appears fine to me. It was good practice too as it was the first time i changed a tire. Rode it around for a few minutes and didn't notice anything. My bike is due for the 30day tune up soon as i recently purchased it so they will check the true for me.

So what stupid things have you done? I'm sure i'm not the only one to leave a piece of a bike somewhere but did you also run it over on your way out?

My little friends
    I drive a topless Jeep Wrangler when I go biking; no doors, no top, wide open. On one ride, about 5 miles in, I realize that my keys were not in my pocket, I must have left in the ignition...nice! I do my best to haul ass back to the parking lot, but this trail in this direction doesn't lend itself to much hauling. I finally reach the trailhead and find my Jeep still present and accounted for. Unfortunately, the keys were not in the ignition! Oh no! I lost them on the trail! I headed back out scouring the trail for them, they must be here somewhere! As I stopped to rest after a big climb, I leaned my elbow against a bulge in my shorts, (no not that one! ), only to discover that I put the keys in my other pocket and didn't even look there! That's what I get for looking at the cute biker girl at the parking lot instead of paying attention to what I should be doing!

mtbr member
    I put my truck mounted bike rack on the family sedan on my way to my first race. On the within about 2 miles of where the race began, my wife and I heard this "PFFSSSHH". we both wondered what the noise was the car was still handling fine thinking that we popped a tire. So we get to the race, I go to pull my bike off the bike rack and notice that the front tire on my bike was flat. this explained the sound we heard on the road. So I'm thinking that we flipped something into to tire that caused it to pop so i start to slowly spin the tire to find the hole. Next thing I know I've burned my hand and have melted rubber stuck to my fingers. As it turns out i didn't pay attention to where the front tire sat in regards to the exhaust on my car. it was literally 6 inches away. The tire, tube, and rim tape was all fused together in a glob of melted rubber. Even the little plastic reflector on the rim I had yet to remove was melted. and all of this happened 15 minutes before i was supposed to start my race.

mtbr member
    One time in college I got back from a nice long ride on a super hot day. Kind of out of it from the heat I leaned my bike against my jeep and started getting changed hooped in the jeep threw it in reverse. Completely crushing the 3K bike nothing was salvageable but the front fork and wheel. Felt like the biggest idiot ever and being a college student thought my riding would be over for a least a year while I saved to buy something else. In the end Home owners insurance picked up the tab and the local bike shop completely rebuilt the bike for me. Every since then I always double check that all bikes are secure before even putting the keys in the ignition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got ready to go out riding with my boy and younger brother. I was to load up the spare bike and pick him up. My roof rack consists of 2 fork mounts and one tray where you don't remove the wheel. I always use the one where I don't remove the wheels as it's quicker.
    I load up my bike. Loaded up the boy's bike on the fork mount and put the front wheel in the trunk. Loaded up the spare bike on the other fork mount, lay the front wheel BEHIND my car. I drive off and half way there I begin to wonder if the spare bike's wheel is in the trunk. I call home to wake up the wife and look for the wheel. She tells me someone ran it over. Pissed off at myself I make a detour to pickup my other spare bike I had loaned to a sister.
    When I get home the front wheel is at home and still round. Wife had "joked" that the wheel was ran over.

mtbr member
    I did something pretty stupid just this weekend in fact...! I drive a 4Runner so my bike goes in the back. I fold down half the back seat, remove the front wheel, and lock the fork into a cleat that I mounted to a 2x4. Anyway, after riding about 11 miles on friday in the AZ heat (1200 miles elev gain) I was pretty beat... I got home, pulled into the garage and took my bike out of the back and forgot to close the liftgate. Well fast forward a few hours and my wife gets home and opens the garage door from her car in the diveway. The elec opener puts a huge gash in my rear lift gate, which she doesn't notice, then she closes the door. Again the gash.... next morning, we go to take our boy to swimming lessons, she opens the garage again, then closes it, again!! 4 times my lift gate got gouged by the electric door!! I finally noticed it after the 4th time... I have to own this mistake, not her fault that I am an idiot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Got ready to go out riding with my boy and younger brother. I was to load up the spare bike and pick him up. My roof rack consists of 2 fork mounts and one tray where you don't remove the wheel. I always use the one where I don't remove the wheels as it's quicker.
    I load up my bike. Loaded up the boy's bike on the fork mount and put the front wheel in the trunk. Loaded up the spare bike on the other fork mount, lay the front wheel BEHIND my car. I drive off and half way there I begin to wonder if the spare bike's wheel is in the trunk. I call home to wake up the wife and look for the wheel. She tells me someone ran it over. Pissed off at myself I make a detour to pickup my other spare bike I had loaned to a sister.
    When I get home the front wheel is at home and still round. Wife had "joked" that the wheel was ran over.
    LOL, I would like to +rep your wife.

Probably drunk right now

Oh, that's easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    So I go to a local "trail" (mostly flat and not challenging but fun place to get some exercise close to my house) Sunday. I am currently shopping for a hitch rack so in the meantime I'm removing my seat and front wheel and can fit the bike in back of my car.

After my ride my bike and I are filthy which i'm pretty happy about and the ride in general was good. I remove the wheel and rest it on the side of the car and load up the bike. I then sit for a minute in the gate drinking some water and catching my breath. Drive home thinking about how i'm going to clean the bike/car up, how i need to get a rack, going to lube chain etc......

I get home and pull the bike out and have it standing straight up on the rear wheel balancing it with the rear brake as I go to reach for the front wheel.

(this is where you realize I did not say I put the wheel back in the car before driving off)

Hauling ass back to the trail I remember that as I backed out of the gravel lot I went over a little bump which I thought at the time was a stick. Now i'm really stressing thinking I ran over the tire and when I pull up, If its still there, it will be crushed. Really cannot afford a new wheel at the moment. Really hoping that when i get there maybe i just popped the tire? Dreading seeing that I bent the spokes or disc rotor.

Get to the parking lot and see the tire. Pick it up and it appears to be fine. Toss it in the car and haul ass outta there hoping no one saw my stupidity.

When I get home I inspect the wheel closely and see no damage. I took the tire off and the tube and checked the inside of the rim and spun it a few times to see if it was dented or bent at all. Everything appears fine to me. It was good practice too as it was the first time i changed a tire. Rode it around for a few minutes and didn't notice anything. My bike is due for the 30day tune up soon as i recently purchased it so they will check the true for me.

So what stupid things have you done? I'm sure i'm not the only one to leave a piece of a bike somewhere but did you also run it over on your way out?
    Ride long enough and you'll do plenty of stupid stuff....

1. Left my bike at the trailhead
    A couple years ago, I was riding a lot in the morning. I'd start around 5:30 or so and ride until it was light. My bike went in the back of my car. I usually backed in to the parking lot. I realized that I drove off without my bike about 15 minutes in to my drive home. I turned around, drove back and found my bike fallen over where I drove away from it.

2. Lost front wheel
    I used to have a roof rack with a shallow basket between two bike rails. I'd usually put my front wheel in the basket and let gravity secure it. I was coming back from a bike trip and a guy on I-70 caught up to me and asked me to pull over. It turns out that he wanted to lecture me because my wheel came flying off my car and almost hit him "right at mile marker 113". I listened politely to his lecture so I could turn around and try and find my wheel. I never did. Someone found a great wheel or it tore up a KDOT mower.

3. Drove my bike in to a parking garage
    I was late for a meeting, pressed for time and forgot that my bike was on my roof rack as I hastily pulled in to a parking garage. The top of the garage caught my seat tube and scraped the entire rack (and attached bike) off the back of my car. It ruined my seat and seat tube and created scratches, gouges and dents in the roof of my car.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Powered by Pulvoron
    Before i had a hitch rack, I would remove the seat and post and front wheel to place the bike in the trunk. Arrived at the trailhead, suited up and started to assemble the bike. all went well except where the heck is the seatpost clamp ? apparently loading the bike the clamp decided to jump off the bike and land quietly on the front lawn. So.,., blah blah blah road the trail with seatpost slammed down to the frame bmx style and ruined the carbon seatpost.. But what a work out with out sitting down.
    FilipinoMafia - Ohio Chapter

Beer Me!
    1. Left gear bag in driveway, drove 1hr 30min to trailhead, had to drive home, didn't ride that day.
    2. Realized i left my helmet at home, toss camelback in trunk, close trunk, go to open car door, doors locked, keys in camelback in trunk.
    3. Left front wheel at home, drove to trailhead, drove home
    4. Going for night ride, bring light, forget battery still charging in the wall at home

These things happen
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Sorry to read these stories, but time heals all wounds, right?

1) Left my favorite gloves on the bike while driving off.
    2) Didn't secure my bike tightly on a tray rack and it fell off after I made a turn into a bumpy street. Thankfully, it didn't fall off 5 secs earlier on a busy street. Got some scrapes on the left grip and that was it. *phew*
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Glad i'm not the only one, still feel pretty stupid though. I can't guarantee I wont do something stupid again but I can 99.9 percent guarantee I wont leave my wheel behind again.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Glad i'm not the only one, still feel pretty stupid though. I can't guarantee I wont do something stupid again but I can 99.9 percent guarantee I wont leave my wheel behind again.
    I haven't done anything twice, but there are plenty of other opportunities to be a goober

I haven't forgotten my bike yet, so thats something, knock on wood.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Enthusiast
    May 2012
    Great reading.......I haven't stopped laughing. Most of my stories revolve around not adjusting my clip-ins prior to riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well mine isn't while biking but this one day at the mart my mind was really elsewhere. I don't remember what I was checking on the bottom of the shelf but I had 20 bucks in my hand and I placed it on the shelf to look at whatever I was looking at after that I just walked away and left the money there. Only realized that when I was already standing. Ran back, found it - good ending huh? Nope, went back to the line and after paying and putting my groceries in the bag I turn around to walk out and I left my change pocket in my wallet unzipped, change rain began, the whole freaking floor just flooded with change (I had a lot of change in there) good thing the security guard guy was kind enough to help me out so I don't think I lost too much money the thing is - that was so embarrassing I couldn't leave the house for a week .

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    I drive a topless Jeep Wrangler when I go biking; no doors, no top, wide open. On one ride, about 5 miles in, I realize that my keys were not in my pocket, I must have left in the ignition...nice! I do my best to haul ass back to the parking lot, but this trail in this direction doesn't lend itself to much hauling. I finally reach the trailhead and find my Jeep still present and accounted for. Unfortunately, the keys were not in the ignition! Oh no! I lost them on the trail! I headed back out scouring the trail for them, they must be here somewhere! As I stopped to rest after a big climb, I leaned my elbow against a bulge in my shorts, (no not that one! ), only to discover that I put the keys in my other pocket and didn't even look there! That's what I get for looking at the cute biker girl at the parking lot instead of paying attention to what I should be doing!
    Cute girls.....90% of why men do stupid things.
    They other 10% is because, well, we're stupid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Surprised there aren't many of the left bike on roof rack and drove into the garage stories. I've met a couple people who have done that.

I'm pretty OCD about not leaving anything behind or losing anything and it has worked pretty well for me (except for the lost time checking everything multiple times).

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A few years ago, I was out mountain biking at a trail that doesn't get much use. I kept my cell phone and keys in my camelbak. I took my keys out to unlock my trunk, put the keys back in my camelbak, and for some reason never unlocked the car. I threw the camelback in the trunk, took the front wheel off the bike and put it in the trunk, and put the bike on the roof rack. I then closed my trunk. Go to open the door and it's locked. Trunk is locked with keys and cell phone safely inside. It was quite a walk to get to civilization. So I waited about an hour for a car to come by. I then called my wife to ask her to bring me the extra set of keys. Just so happens, that one of my kids, who was a baby at the time, just started his afternoon nap. Needless to say, she was less than happy with me. I always unlock my car doors first now, and make sure to leave my keys somewhere visible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    for some reason i took it upon myself to catch the sunset over at a local trail, which opens up at the top of a hill and looks out over the bay, sun sets at 8:20 and i get to the parking lot which is right on the side of a very busy road at 8:05, fifteen minuets to get to a hill that normally 25 mins away. i hustle and get there, and hang out and soak in the view. i take my time getting back and wind up at my car around 9 to find my car unlocked with a note from a very kind person reading
    "this car was unlocked with the door open, you also left the keys in the ignition, i put them under the seat, next time i would atleast take your keys with you be cause i might not be as generous next time around
    -love, steve"
    and to this day i have no clue who Steve is but i would like to thank you if you happen to read this your a great man steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    +rep for your wife! That's funny stuff...and I think your wife and my wife are related...jokes at our expense.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My most common mistakes are setting things on the roof or the bumper of the car and forgetting them. I lost a pair of gloves after a ride by taking them off and setting them on the truck bumper while loading my bike. I've also set my sunglasses on the car roof on a few occasions but still have those

mtbr member
    1. Locked bike to roof rack. Drove 40 miles to the trail head. Get out and realized I left my roof rack key on the table at home. Tried to pry open the rack by to no luck. Drove back home and called it a day.

2. Drove 20 miles to trail head and realized I left my bike shoe at home. Drove back home and called it a day.

mtbr member
    This is great. It's giving me a mental list of things to check before and after rides.

mtbr member
    Which reminds myself of what i learned after my first fall a few weeks ago. I fell going up hill taking a bad line, hit a root that was too big and just stopped my tire sending me off the side luckily and not otb. I did a quick glance for gushing blood and saw only a few scrapes. From there it was kind of a mad dash to get back on and get moving before things hurt or anyone saw me. I didn't think to check the bike that thoroughly because it wasn't that bad of a fall and the bike didn't really take much of a hit. I didn't have much of a ride left after that so i just kept going to get home. The next day I took my bike out to ride and noticed the wheel wobbling quite a bit. I had opened the QR on my front tire. It was at that point i thought about making sure they are not pointing forward. Anyway, if/when i fall again I'm pretty sure i will think to minimally check the QR's on my wheels

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by K-hawk View Post
    for some reason i took it upon myself to catch the sunset over at a local trail, which opens up at the top of a hill and looks out over the bay, sun sets at 8:20 and i get to the parking lot which is right on the side of a very busy road at 8:05, fifteen minuets to get to a hill that normally 25 mins away. i hustle and get there, and hang out and soak in the view. i take my time getting back and wind up at my car around 9 to find my car unlocked with a note from a very kind person reading
    "this car was unlocked with the door open, you also left the keys in the ignition, i put them under the seat, next time i would atleast take your keys with you be cause i might not be as generous next time around
    -love, steve"
    and to this day i have no clue who Steve is but i would like to thank you if you happen to read this your a great man steve
    Same Sh*t happened to me yesterday! I leave the parking lot, go ride four about an hour and half. Coming back towards the parking lot I see my driver's side door wide open. First thought was someone broke in my car . Then a second later I realized I left it opened as I don't remember closing it. I always carry my wallet and keys with me so I had no fear of anything getting taken out. Luckily it was a good neighborhood/lot and my car was untouched.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just yesterday got done riding. Put helmet, gloves and expensive sunglasses on bumper of truck. Loaded the bike up and relaxed for a while drinking a couple of beers with friends. Park was closing so we had to rush out. I get home after a riding on a 65mph highway for a few miles, go to unload the bike. I look on my bumper and somehow my glasses are still there. I dont know how they stayed. But the helmet and gloves were gone.

Went back to the park this morning and found the gloves on the way out of the parking lot. Now, heres the real kicker. Called the friends this morning to see if they saw them on there way out picked up the helmet, one of them tells me on his way out he saw someone backing up to get there helmet they dropped(which was mine). As they picked the helmet he sees the gloves and says to them "Hey you dropped your gloves too". They grabbed the helmet and took off. Now I have go buy a helmet before I ride tomorrow. At least I just have to get a helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just the other day I was trying to beat the thunderstorms/and nightfall on my ride. I make it to my car just in the nick of time. Quickly get my bike and stuff in the trunk, close the trunk and realize my keys are in the trunk. Needless to say my rush was to beat the night, and rain. Well I got the joy of waiting alone in both in the middle of the boonies waiting on emergency roadside assistance to find me. The only thing I was very happy for is that I had my phone on me.

mtbr member
    Hide-a-key or hide a remote. They are worth the five bucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Oh yes, I learned that lesson well.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I have driven off with my cell phone on the roof, and a water bottle on the rear bumper. The water bottle made it, the phone did not. also drove off with my XC helmet hanging on the handlebar. Didn't notice until I was unpacking at home. Another goner.

- Rob

T.W.O.
    Got to the trail, ride, got back to the car load the bike on to the hitch carefully lock the front wheel but forgot to belt the rear, drove off hit the bump on the freeway then the rear bounced off the tray, $500 damage later it's a pretty funny story, certainly not funny at the time

mtbr member
    Mounted the bike to the rack and head out to the trail. I left early so i get there before a buddy who is meeting me. Reach into the back of the jeep to grab my front tire.....der, its leaning against the porch at home. Luckily i was only about 5 miles from home.

Vincit qui patitur
    Not biking but hiking.
    Drove 3 hrs to hike and got all the way uip to the trailhead. Got out of the car and went to grab my hiking boots.
    OOPS! I left them at home.
    Had to drive another 1/2 hr into nother town and try to find size 13 boots that fit me.
    $150 later and was back on the trail.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

mtbr member
    This morning I got up early to go for a ride. I mounted my trunk rack then went in to get my bike and pack. Went back outside, layed my bike on the ground, started my car, put it in neutral, and put my pack in the passanger seat. I get out and start to walk back to my bike to mount it up when i notice my car is rolling away! I drive a stick and I forgot to put my park brake on the last time I drove it.

mtbr member
    Back before I had my bike rack, I'd take the front tire off to put my bike in the back of my SUV. I had apparenlty left my front wheel sitting in my front yard after loading everything up. Luckily only 15 minutes to the trail. Booked it back home, scooped it up, met the wife and kids on the trail and had a solid ride.

I keep a socket and ratchet in my saddle bag for my kids bikes in the event of a tube change. I kept hearing rattling, finally pulled off the trail thinking son of a %$*&^ I had busted something somewhere. Checked it all, all was well, get to the trail head and my wife pointed out, by simply hitting my bag, it was my tools. She said she wanted to see how long it took me to figure it out.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    One memorable day at the races: my son's first state championship XC race, 300 miles from home. We stayed at a hotel the night before. I pick up the car (with bikes locked on top) from the hotel valet and drive15 miles to the race. Stop the car, get out to unload the bikes.

1. I don't have the keys. The hotel valet guy never gave them to me. The car uses one of those radio fobs, so it started fine and I was able to drive away. So I can't unlock the bikes.

2. Worse, now that I have shut the car off, I can't turn it back on to drive back to the hotel to get the keys. I bum a ride from a nice guy. We get the keys, my son misses his planned pre-ride.

3. My son leans his bike against a truck. Truck drives away, running over his rear wheel, which is taco'ed. We apply a "field truing" (whack the wheel against the field) and it actually looks halfway decent after a little adjustment with wrenches.

4. My son races, but has serious problems with rear shifting. The chain keeps skipping. He can't downshift on the hills and loses a lot of time. After one full lap he realizes the rear wheel is loose! He never tightened the QR after the truing. He tightens it up and manages a respectable finish.

5. Meanwhile, the same day, I decide this is the time for me to switch to clipless (SPD). While sitting on the bike talking with a friend about the new pedals, I fall over. There is blood. Yeesh, that was embarassing. I go over to the pump track and fall over again while crossing the race course, in front of 50 riders. There is more blood, on the other leg. I try to hide my face so no one will recognize me. Now christened and starting to feel comfortable with the clip-ins, I decide to ride the race course. Things go great until the big downhill part. I get unnerved by a rider on my wheel and try to let him pass on fast downhill singletrack while I am going about 25, and eat it big time. My leg, still clipped in, protects my bike from the ground and is fairly shredded. There is much blood (this was a bad one, I will have the scars for years).

Despite all that we had a great time!

And another one: on Friday my son took delivery of his new bike, a brand new Stumpy Carbon HT 29er that he has been working all summer to earn. Went out for the first ride -- wonderful! Rides like the wind. After a sweet ride with my wife, with the new bike and my wife's on the roof rack, she drives them into the drive-through overhang at Subway. Both bikes and rack are peeled off the roof and clatter to the ground. Fortunately the damage was minor -- a crack in one of the brake handles on the brand new bike, minor scratches and a ruined rear spoiler on the VW. That's enough bad luck for the year, I think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Didn't put the bike rack on the car correctly (didn't thread the straps correctly for the trunk support) and the bike slowly slid down the car and was bouncing along the pavement as I slowed the car to a stop. Had to get out, remove the rack with bike still attached, move car around the corner and fix it all. Rim was bent afterwards but the bike was a Craigslist bike we'd just gotten and I don't know if it we bought it like that or I screwed it up.

Me ride.
    Oct 2009
    1. Used to carry car keys in my pocket. Used to. Got back to my car, looked for keys...d'oh! They'd fallen out somewhere. Backtracked a few miles and found them in the middle of a football field I had cut across on the way back.
    2. My nephew bought a new bike, and wanted me to drive him to the shop for a tuneup. I had a small coupe and a trunk-mounted rack then, and he said he knew how to put the bike on it and for me to not bother him. So I let him. About 10 minutes down the interstate we both hear a loud *POP* from behind us. We got to the shop, he went to unload the bike, and said, "Aw, man!" The kid put the bike on the rack wrong, and let the front wheel hang directly in front of the muffler, which melted both tire and tube.
    3. This spring I was riding behind an office complex and something shiny caught my eye in a dumpster. I rode over to it and saw 2 bikes just dumped in there, apparently from an apartment complex next door. I tried to move them around for a better look, but they were really in there, and yellow jackets didn't want me there. I figured I'd come back around sunset when they weren't active and get them out. Besides, who else would be around to get them? I show up later in the car, round the corner, and see a scrap metal salvager had gotten them out and put them on his trailer! The one and only time this year I see one, and he picked that day to go looking. I could have given those bikes to my friends if they weren't beat up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have to put my bike in the trunk of my Civic all the time. It's getting old. A woman last week looked at me when I was taking both wheels off my bike, and she said, "You can fit that if your trunk?" Yup! I've actually have stopped my car after driving off to open the trunk to sigh with relief, everything is there. I was looking at some trunk racks made by Allen Sports. The racks are inexpensive but look like they can get the job done. I asked about them in the rack forum. No response yet.

mtbr member

save some money

Quote Originally Posted by Endoman68 View Post
    I have to put my bike in the trunk of my Civic all the time. It's getting old. A woman last week looked at me when I was taking both wheels off my bike, and she said, "You can fit that if your trunk?" Yup! I've actually have stopped my car after driving off to open the trunk to sigh with relief, everything is there. I was looking at some trunk racks made by Allen Sports. The racks are inexpensive but look like they can get the job done. I asked about them in the rack forum. No response yet.
    My wife has a civic which we take to ride cause my truck gets 14mpgs. I spent time looking at expensive racks wondering how I could afford one. Then I saw one on craigslist for $25 like 10 min from my house in perfect condition. Save your money man, they are all over craigslist and cheap.
    All I know is......I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Qubo_2408 View Post
    My wife has a civic which we take to ride cause my truck gets 14mpgs. I spent time looking at expensive racks wondering how I could afford one. Then I saw one on craigslist for $25 like 10 min from my house in perfect condition. Save your money man, they are all over craigslist and cheap.
    I found a Yakima Super Joe 2 on Craigslist for $45. Is this one good. I'm familiar with the brand. There is also pne made by Outback for $40. I know the Yakima brand.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have yet to do anything crazy yet, lost my phone out of pocket but found it quickly, got good eyes BUTTT

i have a buddy that i ride with sometimes, and his brakes were starting to squeak. so he got the "bright idea" of putting lube on to it. He sprayed WD-40 all over it (it fixed the squeaking ) and didnt check to see if it would brake. i thought it'd be funny to go straight to our downhill track, and it was deff funny

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Locked up my bike for an after ride brew, only to later discover that I'd left the Garmin and smartphone attached to the handlebars (collectively worth more than the bike.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    forgot combination to lock, tried to hack it off and neighbor called cops. i thanked him afterwards

life is good!
    May 2012
    I had spilled some lube on my brake pads last weekend. After researching around on this forum, I found out I can try to burn the oil out of the pads. I stuck the pads in my propane torch for a few seconds until they were red hot (as the forum posts said). Turns out, you have to be careful with resin pads so you don't burn the resin, and only the oil. You only make them red hot if they're metallic. Two of my brake pads are now charcoal.

To make matters worse, I ordered a new pair of pads thinking that they'll arrive in the mail before this weekend's bike trip. It's Friday, I leave tomorrow, and the pads still haven't arrived. Looks like I'll be riding the trails tomorrow with only the rear brakes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drew500 View Post
    I had spilled some lube on my brake pads last weekend. After researching around on this forum, I found out I can try to burn the oil out of the pads. I stuck the pads in my propane torch for a few seconds until they were red hot (as the forum posts said). Turns out, you have to be careful with resin pads so you don't burn the resin, and only the oil. You only make them red hot if they're metallic. Two of my brake pads are now charcoal.

To make matters worse, I ordered a new pair of pads thinking that they'll arrive in the mail before this weekend's bike trip. It's Friday, I leave tomorrow, and the pads still haven't arrived. Looks like I'll be riding the trails tomorrow with only the rear brakes...
    Ouch. Swap pads to front?

life is good!
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoviceMTB View Post
    Ouch. Swap pads to front?
    I would - I know the front has more braking power. I'm just afraid that I'll go head over heels over my handlebars. What do you think?

Flow like water
    I would - I know the front has more braking power. I'm just afraid that I'll go head over heels over my handlebars. What do you think?
    That is not how it works. You are better off with just front brakes. Try it. You'll see.

life is good!
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    That is not how it works. You are better off with just front brakes. Try it. You'll see.
    All right, I'll trust you. If something goes wrong tommorrow, now I know who to blame!

Flow like water
    All right, I'll trust you. If something goes wrong tommorrow, now I know who to blame!
    I'm def to blame. Too much front brake washes out to the side. Too much rear brake, and you don't stop in time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast