1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Try and beat this stupidity

So I go to a local "trail" (mostly flat and not challenging but fun place to get some exercise close to my house) Sunday. I am currently shopping for a hitch rack so in the meantime I'm removing my seat and front wheel and can fit the bike in back of my car.

After my ride my bike and I are filthy which i'm pretty happy about and the ride in general was good. I remove the wheel and rest it on the side of the car and load up the bike. I then sit for a minute in the gate drinking some water and catching my breath. Drive home thinking about how i'm going to clean the bike/car up, how i need to get a rack, going to lube chain etc......

I get home and pull the bike out and have it standing straight up on the rear wheel balancing it with the rear brake as I go to reach for the front wheel.

(this is where you realize I did not say I put the wheel back in the car before driving off)

Hauling ass back to the trail I remember that as I backed out of the gravel lot I went over a little bump which I thought at the time was a stick. Now i'm really stressing thinking I ran over the tire and when I pull up, If its still there, it will be crushed. Really cannot afford a new wheel at the moment. Really hoping that when i get there maybe i just popped the tire? Dreading seeing that I bent the spokes or disc rotor.

Get to the parking lot and see the tire. Pick it up and it appears to be fine. Toss it in the car and haul ass outta there hoping no one saw my stupidity.

When I get home I inspect the wheel closely and see no damage. I took the tire off and the tube and checked the inside of the rim and spun it a few times to see if it was dented or bent at all. Everything appears fine to me. It was good practice too as it was the first time i changed a tire. Rode it around for a few minutes and didn't notice anything. My bike is due for the 30day tune up soon as i recently purchased it so they will check the true for me.

So what stupid things have you done? I'm sure i'm not the only one to leave a piece of a bike somewhere but did you also run it over on your way out?

My little friends
    I drive a topless Jeep Wrangler when I go biking; no doors, no top, wide open. On one ride, about 5 miles in, I realize that my keys were not in my pocket, I must have left in the ignition...nice! I do my best to haul ass back to the parking lot, but this trail in this direction doesn't lend itself to much hauling. I finally reach the trailhead and find my Jeep still present and accounted for. Unfortunately, the keys were not in the ignition! Oh no! I lost them on the trail! I headed back out scouring the trail for them, they must be here somewhere! As I stopped to rest after a big climb, I leaned my elbow against a bulge in my shorts, (no not that one! ), only to discover that I put the keys in my other pocket and didn't even look there! That's what I get for looking at the cute biker girl at the parking lot instead of paying attention to what I should be doing!

mtbr member
    I put my truck mounted bike rack on the family sedan on my way to my first race. On the within about 2 miles of where the race began, my wife and I heard this "PFFSSSHH". we both wondered what the noise was the car was still handling fine thinking that we popped a tire. So we get to the race, I go to pull my bike off the bike rack and notice that the front tire on my bike was flat. this explained the sound we heard on the road. So I'm thinking that we flipped something into to tire that caused it to pop so i start to slowly spin the tire to find the hole. Next thing I know I've burned my hand and have melted rubber stuck to my fingers. As it turns out i didn't pay attention to where the front tire sat in regards to the exhaust on my car. it was literally 6 inches away. The tire, tube, and rim tape was all fused together in a glob of melted rubber. Even the little plastic reflector on the rim I had yet to remove was melted. and all of this happened 15 minutes before i was supposed to start my race.

mtbr member
    One time in college I got back from a nice long ride on a super hot day. Kind of out of it from the heat I leaned my bike against my jeep and started getting changed hooped in the jeep threw it in reverse. Completely crushing the 3K bike nothing was salvageable but the front fork and wheel. Felt like the biggest idiot ever and being a college student thought my riding would be over for a least a year while I saved to buy something else. In the end Home owners insurance picked up the tab and the local bike shop completely rebuilt the bike for me. Every since then I always double check that all bikes are secure before even putting the keys in the ignition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got ready to go out riding with my boy and younger brother. I was to load up the spare bike and pick him up. My roof rack consists of 2 fork mounts and one tray where you don't remove the wheel. I always use the one where I don't remove the wheels as it's quicker.
    I load up my bike. Loaded up the boy's bike on the fork mount and put the front wheel in the trunk. Loaded up the spare bike on the other fork mount, lay the front wheel BEHIND my car. I drive off and half way there I begin to wonder if the spare bike's wheel is in the trunk. I call home to wake up the wife and look for the wheel. She tells me someone ran it over. Pissed off at myself I make a detour to pickup my other spare bike I had loaned to a sister.
    When I get home the front wheel is at home and still round. Wife had "joked" that the wheel was ran over.

mtbr member
    I did something pretty stupid just this weekend in fact...! I drive a 4Runner so my bike goes in the back. I fold down half the back seat, remove the front wheel, and lock the fork into a cleat that I mounted to a 2x4. Anyway, after riding about 11 miles on friday in the AZ heat (1200 miles elev gain) I was pretty beat... I got home, pulled into the garage and took my bike out of the back and forgot to close the liftgate. Well fast forward a few hours and my wife gets home and opens the garage door from her car in the diveway. The elec opener puts a huge gash in my rear lift gate, which she doesn't notice, then she closes the door. Again the gash.... next morning, we go to take our boy to swimming lessons, she opens the garage again, then closes it, again!! 4 times my lift gate got gouged by the electric door!! I finally noticed it after the 4th time... I have to own this mistake, not her fault that I am an idiot!
    Toughen Up Buttercup

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Got ready to go out riding with my boy and younger brother. I was to load up the spare bike and pick him up. My roof rack consists of 2 fork mounts and one tray where you don't remove the wheel. I always use the one where I don't remove the wheels as it's quicker.
    I load up my bike. Loaded up the boy's bike on the fork mount and put the front wheel in the trunk. Loaded up the spare bike on the other fork mount, lay the front wheel BEHIND my car. I drive off and half way there I begin to wonder if the spare bike's wheel is in the trunk. I call home to wake up the wife and look for the wheel. She tells me someone ran it over. Pissed off at myself I make a detour to pickup my other spare bike I had loaned to a sister.
    When I get home the front wheel is at home and still round. Wife had "joked" that the wheel was ran over.
    LOL, I would like to +rep your wife.

Probably drunk right now

Oh, that's easy.....

Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    So I go to a local "trail" (mostly flat and not challenging but fun place to get some exercise close to my house) Sunday. I am currently shopping for a hitch rack so in the meantime I'm removing my seat and front wheel and can fit the bike in back of my car.

After my ride my bike and I are filthy which i'm pretty happy about and the ride in general was good. I remove the wheel and rest it on the side of the car and load up the bike. I then sit for a minute in the gate drinking some water and catching my breath. Drive home thinking about how i'm going to clean the bike/car up, how i need to get a rack, going to lube chain etc......

I get home and pull the bike out and have it standing straight up on the rear wheel balancing it with the rear brake as I go to reach for the front wheel.

(this is where you realize I did not say I put the wheel back in the car before driving off)

Hauling ass back to the trail I remember that as I backed out of the gravel lot I went over a little bump which I thought at the time was a stick. Now i'm really stressing thinking I ran over the tire and when I pull up, If its still there, it will be crushed. Really cannot afford a new wheel at the moment. Really hoping that when i get there maybe i just popped the tire? Dreading seeing that I bent the spokes or disc rotor.

Get to the parking lot and see the tire. Pick it up and it appears to be fine. Toss it in the car and haul ass outta there hoping no one saw my stupidity.

When I get home I inspect the wheel closely and see no damage. I took the tire off and the tube and checked the inside of the rim and spun it a few times to see if it was dented or bent at all. Everything appears fine to me. It was good practice too as it was the first time i changed a tire. Rode it around for a few minutes and didn't notice anything. My bike is due for the 30day tune up soon as i recently purchased it so they will check the true for me.

So what stupid things have you done? I'm sure i'm not the only one to leave a piece of a bike somewhere but did you also run it over on your way out?
    Ride long enough and you'll do plenty of stupid stuff....

1. Left my bike at the trailhead
    A couple years ago, I was riding a lot in the morning. I'd start around 5:30 or so and ride until it was light. My bike went in the back of my car. I usually backed in to the parking lot. I realized that I drove off without my bike about 15 minutes in to my drive home. I turned around, drove back and found my bike fallen over where I drove away from it.

2. Lost front wheel
    I used to have a roof rack with a shallow basket between two bike rails. I'd usually put my front wheel in the basket and let gravity secure it. I was coming back from a bike trip and a guy on I-70 caught up to me and asked me to pull over. It turns out that he wanted to lecture me because my wheel came flying off my car and almost hit him "right at mile marker 113". I listened politely to his lecture so I could turn around and try and find my wheel. I never did. Someone found a great wheel or it tore up a KDOT mower.

3. Drove my bike in to a parking garage
    I was late for a meeting, pressed for time and forgot that my bike was on my roof rack as I hastily pulled in to a parking garage. The top of the garage caught my seat tube and scraped the entire rack (and attached bike) off the back of my car. It ruined my seat and seat tube and created scratches, gouges and dents in the roof of my car.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer