1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Try #2

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Try #2

So i found this bike and i was wondering what you all think of it! Its a scott genius. 27 pounds.
    Components are : full shimano xt/xtr
    fox talas rc fork with new rebuild
    Scott factory rear shock, rebuilt
    kenda 2.3 tires
    ks dropper post i950r with remote
    odi grips
    shimano dx platform pedals
    raceface bashguard
    shimano xt hubs

So tell me what you think! Im curious to know. Oh and the price is just about 1000.
    Try #2-p4pb9931870.jpg

Fat-tired Roadie
    Do some reading on the Genius shocks.

The price sounds, at least, ballpark. I'm too lazy to look up the old sticker price; you can probably find this on bikepedia.com.

Have you ridden it? How did it feel?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

T.W.O.
    It's a good price just check the condition. The pull shock is pretty plush. I'm not a fan of the genius not because of the components but the geometry is a bit too xc for me. I had the ransom which was the earlier version of the genius. The genius was about 4-5lbs lighter.

The remote is a bit too tacky for me as well. By all mean it's a good bike in the right condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Even though you dont like it to much would you recomend it? I want to be able to go easy up the hills and still be able to bomb the downhills.
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    It's a good price just check the condition. The pull shock is pretty plush. I'm not a fan of the genius not because of the components but the geometry is a bit too xc for me. I had the ransom which was the earlier version of the genius. The genius was about 4-5lbs lighter.

The remote is a bit too tacky for me as well. By all mean it's a good bike in the right condition.

T.W.O.
    Do diligent make sure all pivots are nice and tight no slop. No cracks and dents.

It's an acceptable practice for a seller to puff up the product and not disclosing any flaw on the product. It's your job to make sure that you check everything.

The genius I rode was the top of the line came in at under 25 lbs with pedals and beefy tires. I like it but not enough to drop 8 grand on it. A grand yes why not.