1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

truvativ box guide

I have an '05 box guide on my bike, and I want to get a bashguard, but after reading some of the reviews for the guide, it says you can;t install a bash guard. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks

...idios...
    Hey Alex,

A bash guard is going to have to be a wider diameter than your (biggest) chain ring, otherwise it wouldn't protect, so, assuming your Box Guide is installed the way it was intended to be (the 'box' part cupping over the chain, and chain ring, to stop it lifting off of the top of the ring) this won't give you any room for a bash guard. However, you could try removing the front plate from the box section (unscrew the four bolts on the front) so you're left with just the adjustable rear section to stop the chain leaping up or in-over, and could then fitting a bash guard which would double as chain guide at the top of the ring. Depending on how tight you have it set, you might have to drop the position of the lower guide so that also clears the guard.
    Hope that's clear,
    Peace,

Steve.