1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Trunk Bike Rack Advice

I just recently purchased a '06 IronHorse Maverick Comp bike, my friend purchased an '05 Specialized bike, and then another friend has a '02 Marin bike. They are all Hardtail bikes with front suspension. I drive a 1995 nissan maxima 4-door and I am now looking for a good 3 bike rack so that thousands of dollars worth of bikes do not fly off the back of the car while we are driving to trails.

I see alot of 3 bike racks at ***** and Online for around 79.99, but I always question how good these racks really are since they are only 79.99? Can anyone provide any kind of experience with a good 3 bike rack and where I could purchase one? I prefer having a 3 bike trunk rack since we all 3 ride together most of the time so any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by nafaught
    I see alot of 3 bike racks at ***** and Online for around 79.99, but I always question how good these racks really are since they are only 79.99? Can anyone provide any kind of experience with a good 3 bike rack and where I could purchase one?

Thanks!
    First off let me say that trunk mount racks suck, in general, compared to a hitch rack or roof mount set up and BAD trunk mount racks are a complete waste of time/money.

So, that being said, the best trunk mount rack on the market is the Saris Bones. You can get either the 2 (bones2) or a 3 bike carrier (bones3). The Bones3 retails for around $150 if I remember right. It is very solid. It doesn't use thin cheap aluminum rails like many others. It exhibits NO bike sway to speak of which has always been a problem with trunk mounts. It adjusts to almost any type of vehicle including SUV's, vans and cars with spoilers. One caveat is that your bumper supports the majority of the weight of the bikes (depending on your car shape) and if you have a plastic bumper cover like most of us the weight of the bikes can cause damage or deformation of the cover over time. Some will warp much sooner than others. Another thing to keep in mind is that mounting 3 bikes on almost any 3 bike carrier can be a real PITA but do-able. Anyhow, its the best trunk mount on the market, bar none imo. I just sold my 2 year old bones2 on ebay for about what I paid for it new.

Performance has .99 shipping right now (use RIDE99 upon checkout) http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=17289 but I would check ebay for much better prices.

- http://www.sarisproducts.com/products/bones3.htm
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 05-23-2006 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the Saris Bones2 that I use on my hatchback. If it turns out to be needed, I have no problem purchasing the Bones 3.. it's been great for hauling the bikes all over.

sushi lover
    May 2006
    I inputted in your car information on Saris' fit guide web site and here are the returns:

1995 NISSAN Maxima
    Here are the Saris racks and accessories that fit your vehicle and carrying needs. You can read an overview of the products below and then click on the product information to learn more. This fit search is meant as a guide. Please consult with a dealer before making your final decision.

Multiple racks will fit your vehicle, you may use any of the following racks:

Guardian 3
    1047P Guardian 3: Like having a Guardian Angel. Hold-downs wrap over bike frame to prevent movement. Carries hard to fit bikes like women’s, juvenile and unique style frames.
    product information
    Bones (2 Bike)
    Simply the finest trunk rack on the market. Carries up to two bikes.
    product information
    Bones (3 Bike)
    Simply the finest trunk rack on the market. Carries up to three bikes.
    product information

I would recommend Saris for the life-time warranty.