mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Bonking ... not feelin' well Trek X-Caliber 4 2014 Forks/Suspension

Hi guys, I'm here to ask a question that I have not found in the internet lately. My problem is, wen I press down or everytime I run over a rock my suspension leaves black marks on the silver thing on the forks and when I press down it sorta feels like its scratching the inside of the fork/suspension. Don't go thinking that he's trashed the bike alot, but I haven't since its my first 299er Hardtail I take care of it like its my baby. But if this gets answered thank you and hope you can give me products or tips to take care/fix the suspension problem.
    Thanks again.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Hate to break it to ya, Dude, but it sounds like your fork is trashed. The X Cal 4 is an entry level bike with low cost components, especially the fork. They're going to break as you get better no matter how well you maintain your bike.

It's a Suntour fork, right? Your cheapest bet would probably be to go for the Suntour loyalty Raidon air fork upgrade, which'll cost you about $200.

That should both increase the quality of your ride as well as last longer while you continue to develop your riding. Then you'll either be steadily upgrading the other components on your current frame or be looking at a higher level bike.

Don't get me wrong. Your bike is fine for getting into the sport, but you can expect things to break and be replaced/upgraded. It's all part of the sport and the fun.
    Live like there's no tomorrow. But pay your bills just in case there is.

since 4/10/2009
    Some of the entry level suspension can be serviced, but a lot of it cannot. May be worth investigating for your fork, but like Saladin says, it may be trashed. I'm a fan of the nicer stuff that can be serviced with new seals, fluid, etc, to keep them feeling new. But not the stuff that's SO fancy that I have to ship them out for basic service. But even those will eventually wear out over time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a Suntour fork with plastic bushings inside.
    You can upgrade it to a Suntour Raidon air fork from Nick at Suntour NA for 200 shipped.
    This would be a major improvement for most riding offroad. Also 2 pounds lighter with a maintenance free sealed oil damper. Metal bushings.
    SR Suntour North America
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L86lBd4KwsM

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Available at Australia, Brisbane?

Thank you guys for your help, I mean it as Saladin said I'm getting into the sport I don't know all the parts or terms that comes with mountain biking but the Suntour Raidon Air fork, do you think they ship in Australia, Brisbane cause not too sure about Ebay when it comes to buying items at the cost of over $100... Thank you Saladin,Harold and eb1888.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Different Sizess??

Quote Originally Posted by MTB Newbie View Post
    Thank you guys for your help, I mean it as Saladin said I'm getting into the sport I don't know all the parts or terms that comes with mountain biking but the Suntour Raidon Air fork, do you think they ship in Australia, Brisbane cause not too sure about Ebay when it comes to buying items at the cost of over $100... Thank you Saladin,Harold and eb1888.
    I also forgot. Can I buy any size of mountain bike fork or there's different/special size for this bike. If so can you tell me my size limit I can go with this bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

How about this fork/suspension

Hi Again. I think I found a really good fork/suspension. Link is
    [url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2015-SR-Suntour-XCR-Air-MTB-Bike-Fork-29-Black-1-1-8-120mm-Manual-Lockout-New-/251900263513?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3aa66 cfc59[url]
    Tell me if this is good or not because if not recommend me forks/suspension under $200AUD that can be posted to Australia Brisbane. Thank you