1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Trek Wahoo vs. GT Karakoram 3.0 Hydraulic

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much a noob. I haven't ridden a bike in probably 10 years or so, but I would like to get back into it. I'll mostly be road biking, but I want to get a mountain bike with some versatility so I can also go on dirt trails and not have to worry about pot holes and rocks.

I'm in Tucson, AZ, a desert. I'm 6'3" and about 290 lbs.

Due to some poor planning on my part, I need a bike by Saturday. I am taking my kids to a Bike Rodeo where there will be light dirt trails, nothing too rocky. My kids already have bikes, but I don't own one. I'm going to buy a new one locally, and I went around to a bunch of shops in town today. I think a 29" hardtail is my best bet because of my size and the type of riding I will be doing.

I have it narrowed down to these two. I wanted to spend far less than this, but it seems like if you want a 29", this is about as bottom of the barrel as you can get without going to WalMart. Can you guys recommend one over the other? Or if I'm way off base, let me know that too. I'd love to hear any and all opinions! Thanks!

Trek Wahoo, $579.

GT Karakoram 3.0 Hydraulic, $599.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 290 puts you outside the designed range for the forks on those bikes. If you see something with a ridgid you could ride the terrain you mentioned. Front suspension would be good for places you could see down the road.
    There is some high quality riding in your area.
    The Wahoo with the Suntour sponsored Raidon air fork upgrade for 175 would get you on the fun trails. You may also need 36 spoke wheels as the trails get more aggressive to handle the 290.

If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have heard the Wahoo uses the same frame as much higher end models like the Cobia etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Snypr18 View Post
    I have heard the Wahoo uses the same frame as much higher end models like the Cobia etc.
    yep same frame lesser everything else.
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/