1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Trek wahoo

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Trek wahoo

Hi all ,I'm new to mnt biking and looking to get a used bike,I found a wahoo and the guy said it was a 2012 but it is green and black and from what I have read that color came out in 2013. So he wants $350.00 for it said its in great condition other than a few scratches on bottom part of frame. So do you think this bike would be worth the money? Thanks

What could go wrong ...
    first things first ... does the bike fit you?
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well I haven't actually seen the bike in person yet,but I will ride and make sure all is good and fits and feels right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ask him what size it is and go to a Trek dealer and test a current X-Cal for size.
    Check pricing while you are there. Black Friday deals are likely Friday and Saturday.
    The Suntour fork on the Wahoo and other bikes is bike path only according to Suntour.
    So keep that in mind. There is an upgrade program if you have the original receipt for the bike.
    Here's a maintenance vid so you can see what the fork is like.
    Disassembly/maintenance of SR Suntour XCT forks - YouTube
    Last edited by eb1888; 12-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    it's ok, but i don't like it.

mtbr member
    Really depends on how hard you are riding and where you are riding. If you are going to ride trails (or possibly evolve to riding trails) its pretty low end. Riding with lower end components is fine, one thing I dont really want to sacrifice if I were going to be riding trails at all aggressively would be the wheels.

Double check the bike too because the green frame has at 650's which are double walled but the 2012 have 550's which I believe are only single walled.

2012 Wahoo - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

2013 Wahoo - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

Definitely check your shop and see if they have any sales on xcal 5's

mtbr member
    I wouldn't hesitate but get him down to 300 cause it was only 550 New. Frame is the same as new xcal series (same bikes New name for less confusion). Forks suck but for 300 worth buying new forks separately. Especially when the best version on xcal only has rockshox xc32tk forks and that version is like 1200. Get a set of recons or even rebas and still be money ahead.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Fat-tired Roadie
    For me, retail bikes drop about 40% of their value the minute one wheels them out of the store.

You can probably find the original spec and MSRP on bikepedia.com. so that should help you get a handle on what an appropriate price would be. Of course, this is somewhat region dependent and with used bikes, condition is king.

What size is it? How tall are you? I think test riding is really important, but at 5'8", I wouldn't bother to look at a 21" bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx