1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Trek Scratch Air 8 or Giant Faith

Im thinking a do it all bike, what do you guys think?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Larger, long-travel bikes can be annoying for climbing and riding in tight singletrack.

It really depends which "it all" you want to do. If you're shuttling or riding up fire roads and then doing fast singletrack descents, either could be pretty awesome. If you're also climbing singletrack, both will be a lot less awesome...

To me, a do-it-all bike is my short-travel hardtail. But my "all" doesn't include a ton of dropping off of things or constructed DH lines with big airs, and it does include climbing singletrack (and descending it, of course) and some racing.

What do you want to do? Or, what do you like about mountain biking? Or, what attracts you to the sport?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Those bikes are not do it all those are like big hit bikes. Try the Giant Trance or Reign for do it all bikes.

mtbr member

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    Neither would be on my do it all list.Do it all would be a banshee rune sc nomad and so on.It really depends on what you are riding, what you do the most and least of.But if thats your idea of a do it all go demo them see which one you like more.

T.W.O.
    Both are more "Take it all" not do it all unless you have very good fitness they are not going to be fun climbing.

Like others suggested look for something in the 5-6" range. Ibis Mojo HD, Intense Tracer VP, Nomad, 5Spot, M5.7. These bike can climb and descend and can be easily built under 30#.

mtbr member
    i had a giant faith, great bike but riding up hills was painful, i mean really painful. If you encounter a technical climb forget it. their is really nothing easy about fighting gravity with those bikes.
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    just research all mountain category

Many of the new 4" 29er might also intrest you. I just came from hardtails and Anthem 29er took little time to adjust to suprisingly.

What are you riding now in addition to the terrain question already posed?
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Giant Reign X, if you want a stronger do it all bike. I have a regular Reign and love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nubijo View Post
    Im thinking a do it all bike, what do you guys think?
    Trek Remedy or Giant Reign in the two brands.