1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Trek questions

mtbr member

Trek questions

Was at my LBS today and they are a Trek and Scott dealer. The Treks seemed to fit me better, I'm almost 6'4" and roughly 205lbs. Monday they are transferring a Stache 6 and a Superfly 5 for me to try in the parking lot, both 2014 models. As I'm new to mtb I have a few component based questions:

Whats the deal with 2x10 versus 3x10?
    Is Recon Silver Air better than XC32? In what circumstance?

What should I be looking at during my 5 minutes in a parking lot? Shifting under load versus free wheeling, brake feel and modulation, fork bottoming resistance, wheels off the ground checking drive train drag by hand and listening for any odd noises. Anything else? They do offer rental so I can take one to a local trail for a more in depth ride, on dirt.

I'm leaning towards the Superfly as its a almost pure Shimano bike and I had great luck with their older 105 road bike stuff and the odd fishing reel...

Thanks for for any advice. Chris.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2X10 Versus 3x10 2 by you don't get quite as low or high of gear ratio's .They are a little easier to tune ,you don't have cross chain issues ,one less part to replace.The first thing is how do you feel on the bike cramped up ,,or do you feel like you reaching. You would be doing yourself a huge favor by trying the bike in the dirt.If you could try different ones ,even better. Shimano's stuff is good ,but nothing wrong with Sram. A new bike shouldn't be making any odd noises. You don't really want to shift under load ,that's a good way to break stuff.

mtbr member
    Did a parking lot test ride and liked it enough to rent one for a day. Did hear bit of a creak from the rear when really stomping on the pedals...

mtbr member
    You are not going to get much from the short parking lot trip. You just need to go with your gut and what you liked better. You can easily overanalyze this purchase. 3x gives you a bit more range than a 2x drivetrain but unless you really ride them side by side you likely won't notice much difference IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Did a parking lot test ride and liked it enough to rent one for a day. Did hear bit of a creak from the rear when really stomping on the pedals...
    Renting is going to give you the real info you need from on trail demo riding. Before you go talk to a tech about that creak. Get the fork set and go for sub 30psi in the front with a couple more for the rear.
    Get directions to some good technical trails.

mtbr member
    Generally the difference between 2x10 and 3x10 is top end speed.

The stock granny chainrings may be different a 22t vs a 24t and the middle may be slightly different a 32t vs a 34t or 36t. With an 11-36 cassette you may find that the 32t is too small and you have to shift to the larger chainring where a 36t may allow you to stay int the middle ring. These rings can be swapped out pretty easily to set up whatever gearing feels best.

What you do lose with a 2x is a large chainring such as a 42t or 44t that will give you a higher overall speed when spinning the pedals... turning a 42/44-11 at 90 rpm will give you a speed you may have a tough time duplicating when your big gear is a 36t.

Personally I prefer a 2x because the only downside is top end and for almost all my trail riding I don't need to have a 42t/44t chainring. It is nice on the road, but if I'm going to ride any distance on the road I'll use my road bike.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

mtbr member
    If the 2x or 3x is a concern to you, get the bike with a 3x10.
    You can always remove the outer chainring and make a 2x10 without any additional cost. You cannot make a 2x10 a 3x10 without significant additional cost.

mtbr member
    Rental went very well, other than realizing a hardtail isn't for me. I was on the big chain ring up front quite a bit whenever the trail was smoother and flat-ish. I think 3x10 is for me, regardless of how trendy 2x10 is. I'm sure I will be swapping for bigger gears in the front as I get stronger, old road riding habits die hard I suppose.

I put a deposit down on a leftover 2013 Superfly AL 100 Elite, should have it on Tuesday. Luckily Trek is blowing them out in tall guy size!