1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Trek Marlin price

I was in a LBS today testing out some 29ers because I am about ready to buy my next bike. They had a 2012 Marlin 29 that was a trade in and looked literally brand new. The guy at the bike shop said he thought it was too big for the original owner so he traded it in after only a few rides. The first owner put some really nice grips on it and upgraded the tires which the guy in the bike shop said were some of there nicer tires they sell, he pulled one of the rack and they were $55 a piece. So is $550 a good price for the bike? I saw online the MSRP is like $650 for the bike but the LBS guy said they sell for 800 in their shop... up until today I have been set on just ordering a bikedirect bike and now I don't know what to do.

mtbr member
    $800 for a Marlin?!?! No way in &*^%. They sell here for $589-$619 all day long. I know this because I almost purchased one until I actually rode it. Really unimpressive to say the least. I wouldn't pay a dollar over $500 (being generous) for a used one even if it was spotless.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the reply I'm glad I didn't put a deposit down. I am glad I went in there to size a few bikes up, the marlin was a 17.5 and the other bike I rode which was way nicer was a 19" I think the model was superfly? Could be way off but it was a much nicer ride then the Marlin, guess I should keep looking unless they would go way down on the price. Overall I thought the bike was pretty good compared to my current ancient bike but I wasn't impressed with the suntour fork and the brakes seemed pretty squeaky.

mtbr member
    A semi-local shop here has the '11 Marlin SS advertised as having a MSRP of 600, and it's marked down to $399 on close-out.

If I wasn't leary of SS bikes I'd be very interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I may go in and see if they will come down on the price, the bike is in near spotless condition with upgraded grips and tires (no biggie really). What would be a good price out the door for this bike. I have been looking at the bikesdirect fantom29 comp and gravity point 2 so far and it seems like for not much more I could have either of those with no sales tax and free shipping.

NeedGod.com
    It sounds like a good price for the Marlins I looked at around Des Moines. That said, you're going to get way better components going with something from BD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    There were 3 used Marlins being sold locally in the beginning of the summer all priced at $450.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just saw the airborne guardian which is priced at 600 with a better component set then the marlin. I'm going to check some reviews...looks like a decent starter bike.

mtbr member
    The guardian does look to be a very good deal. The components are better than the Marlin and it's around the same price or cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They may give you free shipping. The offer is still up as a facebook page on their fomepage if you call.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    They may give you free shipping. The offer is still up as a facebook page on their fomepage if you call.
    The Airborne Homepage shows the last 3 or 4 posts from the Facebook page, that post was from the last day of the sale. Sorry, it's over now!

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I was looking at the specs of my buddies specialized carve comp 29er and the goblin tromps it for $100 less. If I decide to go 29er HT i will get the goblin.