mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trek fuel EX8 frame blemish. Good or bad?

I have a 2008 Trek fuel ex8 with a 1/2 in. scratch/gouge on the left chain stay about 2 inches from where the axle is. its down to bare metal, and I can see a couple of scratch lines in the aluminum. It didnt go through, but do you think that it could crack or something? Its not dented, and its not a place that will dent under pressure. I could try and post a pic, but what do you think?
    Last edited by GoBlue1; 08-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    id post a pic and let people look at it, how did it happen? did you buy the bike with the scratch?

Geaux ride!
    I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about. Cracks in the frame are usually caused by fatigue at high stress points: where the tubes meet/weld areas. Because Aluminum is a fairly soft metal, scratches are inevitable when you ride (unless you ride in a pillow store). Unless the scratch is significant (more than 1/32" deep) I'd just get some touch-up paint (optional) and keep on riding!
    -'11 Jamis Dakar XCR Team
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - J. Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I really doubt the scratch is 1/32 in deep, but you can see the indent. Its actually only a quarter inch.I bought it w/ the scratch knowing the size etc. The bike was 1600 w/ some nice upgrades too, so Im not stressing it.