1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Trek fuel EX8 frame blemish. Good or bad?

I have a 2008 Trek fuel ex8 with a 1/2 in. scratch/gouge on the left chain stay about 2 inches from where the axle is. its down to bare metal, and I can see a couple of scratch lines in the aluminum. It didnt go through, but do you think that it could crack or something? Its not dented, and its not a place that will dent under pressure. I could try and post a pic, but what do you think?
    Last edited by GoBlue1; 08-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.

mtbr member
    id post a pic and let people look at it, how did it happen? did you buy the bike with the scratch?

Geaux ride!
    I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about. Cracks in the frame are usually caused by fatigue at high stress points: where the tubes meet/weld areas. Because Aluminum is a fairly soft metal, scratches are inevitable when you ride (unless you ride in a pillow store). Unless the scratch is significant (more than 1/32" deep) I'd just get some touch-up paint (optional) and keep on riding!
    -'08 Jamis Dragon Comp
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary…that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I really doubt the scratch is 1/32 in deep, but you can see the indent. Its actually only a quarter inch.I bought it w/ the scratch knowing the size etc. The bike was 1600 w/ some nice upgrades too, so Im not stressing it.