1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Trek Fuel Ex 8 vs. Fuji reveal 2.0 vs. Trek Fuel Ex 6

I could buy a gently used Trek Fuel Ex 8 for $1650, a NEW trek Fuel Ex 6 for $1700 or i could buy a Fuji Reveal 2.0 online for $1,150 and i'm basically torn between the three. I currently ride a trek 6000 hardtail and i have a big history in motocross and a lot of that experience has carried over to MTB but i really enjoy jumps and downhill and i would really like any suggestions as to what you guys think would be the best deal for my money!

mtbr member
    Ex-8 is the best value of those, by far. But $500 is nothing to sneeze at and that's not a bad price at all on the Fuji... comparable to the EX-6 or Specialized camber. I wouldn't consider the EX-6 among those 3.

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    what year is the ex8 and the fuji?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The ex8 is a 2011 i believe and the fuji is a 2010.
    I'm leaning more toward the ex8 because it has better components than the other two and is priced well.

Bunny Hoppin Gators
    if its a 2011 i think thats a really really good deal for the ex8

i have a 2011 ex7 and i love it

also.... the ex8 has way more than 500$ in upgraded suspension from the reveal

Texan
    Ex8!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    FWIW...Chainlove has had the Reveal at $1099 recently. I think they have had the Kona Hei Hei 100 for around $1,250 s well.

Can't recall the specs on either but I figured I would throw the info out there. Good luck with whatever you do!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ex8

Although, the ultimate test is which one feels best to you.

Gold plated shoes are worthless if they aren't comfortable to wear.

Now with more slacking
    Aug 2011
    Is the EX6 from LBS? If so what kind of service will you get, and is LBS a good shop? You may know how to maintain it given your experience, but if not, and you ride a lot (say, 200 miles/month) you'll spend a couple hundred a year on tuneups and service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Chainlove has the Fuji Reveal 2.0 up right now @ $1,049.99.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slacker666 View Post
    Is the EX6 from LBS? If so what kind of service will you get, and is LBS a good shop? You may know how to maintain it given your experience, but if not, and you ride a lot (say, 200 miles/month) you'll spend a couple hundred a year on tuneups and service.
    Both the fuel ex8 & 6 are from my LBS but the 8 is used and i think it will also come with some sort of plan because it was bought from their originally. I am fairly set on the EX8 but i just need to sell my bike first!

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    ex 8
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would go for the ex8. You will get the most bike for your money out of those three. But if your budget is tight, the Fuji is spec'd pretty well for that price. The 69.5 degree head angle is what would make me hesitate