1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Trek fuel 90 Disc as a beginner?

Hi guys I'll try to keep it short found a 18" Trek Fuel 90 Disc on craigslist the posters willing to sell it for 600. He didnt post the year but it looks fairly new is this a good deal? I'm fairly inexperienced with this stuff I'm meeting him tomorrow morning it would be awesome if I could get help before than thanks>

(Since I cant post links heres what he put as a description)

Trek Fuel 90 Disc full suspension mountain bike. Frame size 18", 27 speeds, Manitou Black Shock. Fox Float Rear Shock, Shinmano XT front and rear deraileur, Hayes HFX Comp Brakes.Hayes Hydraulic Disc Levers. Light weight, also come with bottle cage and under seat storage bag. two new bountrager 26 x 2.1 tires. This bike is in execellent condition and ready to ride. Please contact 347-420-2182.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I paid $400 for an 04 without discs 6 months ago and just dropped a little over a hundred to upgrade it to discs. It's a great bike for the Southeast where I ride, the suspension comes in handy. I'd offer $500 and see what he says. BTW the area of the country you are in makes a difference in bike values, so I could be off. It is a good riding bike, I bought mine to backup my 06 Fuel ex9 while my shock was being rebuilt. I've raced both bikes and while the ex 9 is more comfy the 90 climbs better imo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I live in nyc and yea I'll see about lowering it another 100 he was advertising it originally for 695 was also thinking about a 08 jamis komodo 2 for 575 on jensenusa but i dont kno if 16.5 in is too small im 5'10 31-32 inseam (the only reputable LBS dont have komodos in stock for me to try out T.T)

p.s. found out the trek is 06 model
    Last edited by luKiMki; 08-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - what trails are you planning to ride?

My experience of riding NYC is that there is very little singletrack that'll let you carry enough speed and be rough enough for that rear linkage to do much of anything for you. If you're riding Long Island or further afield, though, I could see it being nice.

The Komodo would be about right, I think, for the venues reachable by subway. Check these guys out for local information.
    NYCMTB
    I mostly rode Cunningham when I was in NY. Highbridge has a little piece of really beginner stuff and a bunch of hard stuff, with nothing in between. Cunningham is pretty mellow too, but at least the trails are longer and I could get more of a flow going. Wolfe's Pond wasn't open until after I left.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx