1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Trek EX8 vs. Fisher HiFi Deluxe?

Does anyone have any input on these bikes? I've narrowed it down to the two but am now having a really difficult time deciding. I've been out for about 2 hours on each but as a reasonably inexperienced rider I'm looking for some other opinions.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    im not very experienced either, however i picked up an 08 ex8 and love it. i test rode a bunch of bikes including the fisher. the rear suspension sold me on the ex8 and i dont have any complaints with it. the fisher didnt seem to have as much travel as the trek (i dont know if it does or not, however the abp on the trek feels bottomless and much smoother.) the geometry on the fisher is much more bent over for me. i noticed a huge difference in the geometry with the fisher and didnt like it. i would say go for the trek based on geometry and rear suspension, however both are awesome bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I ride a Hi-Fi and love it, but think you can't go wrong with either bike. If you've ridden both and still can't decide, I'd pick the one with the better components. (My guess is they are probably just about the same, however, so that may not even help). The Fisher geometry may make for a faster ride, a little more like an XC race bike, while the EX8 is more of a pure trail bike.

Good luck. I don't think it is possible to make a wrong decision on this one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks wis and gator. i really appriciate the feedback. i was out on them both again yesterday and am leaning toward the Ex8 right now. a friend of mine bought the Ex8 a few weeks ago and i've been second guessing riding the same bike but i'm starting to think that i should go with the better fit and feel.

thanks again.

The White Jeff W
    That Hi Fi is a sexy beast in black. I almost bought one but opted for an Ibex Asta Expert X9 for a grand less and haven't regretted it for a second.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Asta.html
    No moss...