1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek Cobia for bigger guy?

I currently weigh 360lbs and would like to fit in healthy activities in my daily routine and biking is something that I am interested in. It would be mostly for ashpault and flat trails to begin with and as the weight comes off maybe some more robust trails in the future. I was thinking the Cobia or an x-cal would be a good general all rounder bike. What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    Check out the clyde forum. You'll see a lot of big guys ride those Trek 29er hardtails. Do a search and you will get a lot of great information to help you.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trek Cobia for bigger guy?

If you have the coin, Stache 7 is a great option. Very Clyde friendly bike. I'm 290 and have about 70 trail miles on mine with no issues at all.