1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Trek 930 on craigslist for $150 - should I bite?

Found this on craigslist - owner says it's in great working condition - is it worth it?

I'm 6'0" 160lb, so I would like a 19-20" frame but this one is 17.5" - need a bike and I'm on a very low budget - what should I Do?

From the pics the frame and shifters look good, but the cassette and rings appear a bit rusty. If it's not worth $150, what should I offer for it?

I ride a good mix of trails, some single track, some free ride/aggressive, and I'm looking for a bike that can handle it. My budget is $200-250 so I've been looking for something used.
    Last edited by buppus; 08-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    You need a 19.5" frame for your height on the Trek 930...I'm the same height and had a 970 for several years.

Regarding the bike, the fork is total garbage but it is a great True Temper steel frame and a solid ride if you can find one in your size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I see, so the smaller frame would be a bad idea?

Any suggestions on what to look out for on my budget?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As mtnbiker said, frame size. If the frame does not fit you will hate riding the darn thing. If you find the right frame size on CL, look at the components for wear. I picked up a 930 this year and ended replacing most of the components (taken off another CL bike).