1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Trek 6700 vs RockHopper. A craigs list adventure.

Hello. I have given up on the Nishiki Alien and have found 2 bikes I'm trying to decide on. I have been out of the loop for a while so please tell me which one is better. I'm sure there are diehard Trek and Specialized fans that will pick one without looking so maybe tell me why you like one over the other if that's ok. I'm sure with your experience you will notice one is older or one has better components when it was new etc. Both bikes are in my size, and most importantly, my price range.

Thank you!

First runner up:
    Specialized 27-Speed 'Rock Hopper'...19" Frame good for 5'7" - 6'00"...Has Shimano Deore LX Components...Rapid Fire Shifters

Trek 6700 vs RockHopper. A craigs list adventure.-3ec3m93hf5i35fa5med592fcb110417f215e0.jpg

And number 2:
    Good bike in good shape. Added rear post shocks. Tires are good but low (in storage for a while). No wrecks.
    Name:  3Fa3Lc3Ne5I55Kb5F5d59e7f59efbc609166e.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  48.4 KB

And just for fun, number 3 which was my first choice the other day but the guy hasn't gotten back to me so he may have sold it and not removed the ad.

This Blue, adult, Schwinn Mountain bike has a 19 inch frame and 24 speeds, Shimano pedals, Rock Shox up front, 29 inches from floor to top of frame.

Trek 6700 vs RockHopper. A craigs list adventure.-3e83na3h35id5la5had56b92b47957e42155e.jpg

Thanks for playing!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The Specialized & Schwinn have 19" frames and the Trek has what looks to be at least a 21" frame
    Different size frames suit different size riders, you need to work out what size frame you need.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The Trek is listed as a 19" in the title of the ad. I think 18" may be better for me but I don't think the 1" will make that much of a difference. I'm a little over 5' 8" and 175#.

Looking at the geometry of the Trek it does look a little taller though. You think the poster made a mistake?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can't tell very much from the pics and need more info on specs for both bikes 1"
    can make a difference .Test ride them if you can.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for your input. These are all far away from each other and I would rather not spend all day driving to look at 3 bikes. I was hoping you experienced riders could give me some "yay or nay's" or maybe even recognize the rough age of these bikes. As of now I am going with the Specialized since it has 27 gears and stated Shimano Deore LX components. The Schwinn looks really nice though. I'm bad at deciding these kinds of things considering once I make the choice I'm pretty much stuck with it for the summer even if it all falls apart on my first ride.

I'm pretty sure these aren't dept. store bikes and all are great manufacturer names so I guess the differences are minor like the angle of the headstock on Specialized vs Trek.

Thanks for all your help!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Honalua View Post
    The Trek is listed as a 19" in the title of the ad.
    It doesn't look like a 19" frame to me.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    The gap between the top tube and the down tube where they join the steering tube is too big for a 19" frame and the height of the top tube is also too much for a 19" frame.

21" frame: Trek 8000 Mountain Bike | eBay
    19.5" frame: Trek 4500 Mountain Bike Large 19 5? Frame | eBay
    18.5" frame: Trek 6500 ZX Mountain Bike 18 5" Shimano Deore | eBay
    18" frame: Trek 6700 Mountain Bike | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok thanks, I appreciate you letting me know the Trek is not a 19". That knocks it out of the running, especially considered the wear and tear compared to the other 2 bikes.

I am going to try and buy the specialized tomorrow. They only want $155 for it. It looks like a 2004. The guy with the Schwinn finally did respond saying it was available for $150, but I think the Specialized is a better deal.

Thanks for all your help, feel free to give your 50 cents worth!

Humpmaster general
    The trek is a 2001. retailed for 870 12 years ago. if it is too big the point is moot.
    I would go with the specialized over the schwin.
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning