1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Trek 6500?

mtbr member
    May 2007

Trek 6500?

Guys...I'm looking to buy my first bike but I'm brand new to riding and I don't want to spend a lot. I will mainly use it for casual riding but who knows...I may get hooked like many of you. That's why I don't want to just buy a piece of junk. Would it be better for me to buy used or new for my first bike?

I can get my hands on a used Trek 6500 ZX in good condition for approx. $200/$250...I think it was bought new in 2001. Is this a decent bike? Is that a reasonable price...not sure what it retailed new?

The other alternative is to buy a brand new bike like the trek 820 or 3700.

What am I better off doing....old 6500 or new?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Hmmm...if the 6500 is in good shape and....

you trust the seller then go for it. The 6500 is a WAY better bike frame and component wise than the 820 or 3700. The only problem is it's used and 6 years old to boot! Many of the components on the bike are dated as far as technology goes, and may well be worn out and need replacement. If the bike is in REALLY good shape, 200 to 250 would be a fair deal. If it's been beat up then pass. If you have a chance to test ride it before buying, then do so. Make sure it doesn't creak like grandma's bones in the morning and that everything works as it should. If you can, take it to a shop and have them look it over. They might charge you 10 bucks to do it, but it's cheap insurance. Just tell em what you are doing and ask if they'll give it a once over and tell you what's wrong with it. It's a pretty good deal if everything is right with the bike. But it won't be if you have to start replacing components right away. If you buying on ebay, DON'T! Not for your first bike and not if you are not adept at working on your own bike.

Your choice of course, the 6500 is nice bike. But it may be more to your advantage to go new. Depends TOTALY on the condition of the used bike.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"