1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Trek 6000 non-WSD for W

I'm trying to get my wife in to mountain biking so first thing she needs is a bike.. Now I have a 2002 Trek 6000 which is actually too small for me, it's a M and I'm 1m86. I'm replacing it with a 2009 Cannondale Rush 6 size L. Now I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to let my wife, 1m70, start on the Trek. It's of course not a WSD so I'd be interested to know if there are other ladies riding a "male" bike and if they like it. Putting the Trek in a decent state would cost me around 200€.

The aim of it all is to make sure she'll have a some good first experiences and that she'll come back for more..

Former Bike Wrench
    It is not required to have women ride women's specific bikes. They rode mountain bikes way before there were specific models for them. In fact I worked at a shop that advertised specifically to women and we offered fitting services back when there were very few women's specific bikes. My wife who is 5'3" (1.60m) rides a 2003 Trek 4300 14.5" with some modifications for her which include:
    -Women's specific saddle
    -Handlebars cut down narrower
    -Higher rise stem for more upright position and shorter reach
    -Slim grips for smaller hands
    -Brake lever reach adjusted closer to bars

With these adjustments she is quite comfortable on the bike and it fits her nicely.

Picture Unrelated
    Sounds to me that if you want her to have the best experience that you should probably think about choosing a different size for her. I, at 6' (~183cm) ride a L and I got my wife who is 5'10" (~177cm) a medium frame. Of course, everyone's body proportions are a bit different and perhaps your wife has a long torso but based solely on the height number I would suspect your wife would be more comfortable on a medium frame.

I think the height discrepancy is more of a factor than not having a women's saddle. If you can rent a bike for the first outing, do that. Then if she decides she likes it you can try outfitting her on your old bike. At that point hopefully she'll be hooked a little bit and be more receptive to trying out the different body position on your old bike to see if it will work.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

T.W.O
    Top tubes tend to be shorter for a WSD. We looked at a myka for my gf which was a medium, the TT being 22.0.. most mens bikes that is a small.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)