1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Trek 4300 or Marlin

I am just getting back into mountain biking and looking at a new bike. I like the trek 4300 disc...But the Trek marlin 29er mite be better with bigger wheels,The only thing I will be giving up is the hydraulic brakes on the 4300 and slightly better components.
    Any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Never ridden a 29er but I can tell you I have ridden the hell outta my 4300 Disc and the bike has been great! Aside from replacing personal things (saddle, post, grips), never broken anything on the bike aside from a few spokes. Getting ready to upgrade the fork and wheelset in the near future. Either way, good luck with the purchase!
    I ride faster than I should...

mtbr member
    First, have you ever rode a 29er or tested the Marlin? If not, then I think you should first start with trying a 29er out @ the LBS. I tried one before I emptied my wallet on my Trek 6000 and didnt like the feel of the 29er's.
    Also, what type of riding will you be doing?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I ride mostly single track with rocks and roots.

undercover brother
    Try out a 29er first, if you haven't yet. I personally am not a fan, as I prefer the feel of 26 in wheels under me. Either will be a great bike to get back into the swing of things.

Please don't ask "which is better?" because you will start another world war on here and you won't believe how defensive people will get about their "wheel size"

mtbr member
    Try the 29er out. If not then just get the 4300 if that's all that you can afford, and slowly replace things as they break or just start replacing with better parts from the start.
    When i bought my 2012 6000 I immediately dropped a RockShox Recon Silver air fork on it.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jnorkol View Post
    I ride mostly single track with rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You can upgrade to hydraulic disc brakes on the Marlin, you can't "upgrade" the 4300 from 26 to 29 inch though. So, as others have said, first decide between 26" and 29".

I was in a similar situation about a year ago, just getting back into it, looking for something trail worthy at a reasonable price, etc. I ended up getting a 4300 disc (mine is a 2010 with mechanical disc brakes). The bike has been awesome but I'm reluctant to make any upgrades because I'm looking to go to a 29er when year end bonus time rolls around. If I had gone with a 29er from the start, upgrades (new fork and hydraulic brakes) would be an option.