1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

trek 4100 upgrades

hi yall, new to mtn biking and LOVING it!

i bought a used '04 trek 4100... very entry level and after searching here, i see that it isnt really worth upgrading.

but i wanted your opinion on upgrading the front shock to maybe a used rs dart 2 if i can find one cheap. would it be worth it? the 4100 comes with an insync 320 which i hear is pretty much crap. would the dart 2 be a viable option and how hard is it to install one? i am a good wrench but just a little new to bikes.

as of now the bike is stock except new kool stop brake pads and some used shimano m545 i got cheap on ebay. prob wont do much else to upgrade it except maybe a used rd. otherwise ill ride it till i break it and then get a new new bike when i progress more ... that or keep this as my school bike and get a new fs someday

mtbr member
    i bought a trek 4300 for my first bike and did a load of upgrades. then when i bought a better frame i used all of the upgrades from the cheep bike on the new one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i was thinking of doing that too...but them im stuck on getting a frame and using the parts i upgraded on the previous frame... i was eyeing the sette ace for $999. seems like a killer price for the bike with great components....esp for a fs.

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with reusing the upgrade parts on a new frame the advantage is that you get to build the bike the way you want it. As for the sette ace it look like a good frame and the components look decent for the price but you will still want to upgrade it is a illness and once you have it you cant get rid of it. Here is the evolution of my bikes so far still in progress.

Stock
    Photobucket

this is after many upgrades.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

New frame
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Still upgrading getting xo shifter, x9 derailer ,Sram PG-990 9 Speed Cassette, 31.5 mm carbon bars ,chris king headset and i am eventually going to get a set of industry 9 wheels when i get the spar money

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by motoxkfx123; 09-02-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    If I was you I would buy a completely different bike. Upgrading components is very expensive. You could look around on craigslist for a used higher end bike on craigslist for a fraction of the price. I bought my mountain bike locally off of a guy that was going to upgrade and got a pretty good deal. You can ask around at your local bike shops if anyone has a bike to sell. I would just avoid upgrading because it becomes very very expensive after a while. The upside is even though it is more expensive you could always buy a new frame and put the new parts on it at a later date. If you look around for deals on every part it could be relatively cheap as compared to buying them for msrp. Buying a used bike that hasn't been ridden much would still be the best bang for your buck though. Just be thorough when you inspect the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    moto, that is a sick bike! you're right, upgrading can be an illness and im sure ill get that bug! im already starting to feel it. lol. i like to tinker with my bike and u get a satisfying feeling when u build something yourself.

that may be a viable option for now since im unemployed at the moment, and just slowly upgrade... BUT i will be getting married in a year or so, so im not sure how the wifey will take me constantly buying bike parts....so maybe a one shot deal with something like the sette ace will work. decision, decisions. ill just ride this bike as is for now, maybe do a few small upgrades for comfort. again, sick bike!

mtbr member
    more upgrades just did last night.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket