1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Trek 3900, Promax mechanical disc rubing against brake caliper

I have a 2009 Trek 3900 with the stock Promax mechanical disc brakes. I was rotating the front wheel today inspecting the bike and heard a faint squeling sound. After closer inspection, it looks like the disc is slightly warped and chaffing against the brake caliper upon rotation. It's not a bad/loud sound, but annoying all the same. Is this normal? Just let it be or is there a quick fix to remedy this situation? Trying to tackle bike issues myself first as opposed to bringing the bike rite in to the LBS for inspection.

AZ
    banned
    Its normal for that to happen, it can be fixed.In one spot or rubbing all the time? If its in one spot, just true the rotor ( bend it straight ) with a couple of adjustable wrenches or a rotor truing tool. If it rubs all the time, recenter the caliper. You can do that by loosening the mounting bolts, gently applying the brake and tightening the mounting bolts. Good luck.

mtbr member
    I think it's rubbing in one spot. Is this something I need to tackle asap or can I address this at the end of the season if I wanted by LBS to take care of it?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If the rotor is touching the caliper (metal on metal), you need to fix it now. No problem waiting if it's just touching the pad.

You may be able to true it without any tools, too. Identify the high spot and push it in with your thumbs, using your fingers to keep the rest of the rotor from bending. Then clean it with some isopropyl alcohol to remove the skin oil.