1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Trek 3700 Disc - Help

Yesterday I went to the Trek store of Chattanooga and bought a 3700 Disc. So far I'm loving the bike but I had a question about the front wheel.. if I turn the bike upside down and spin the front tire it doesn't spin nearly as long as the rear wheel and it makes a noise from time to time. I was curious if it was something I'm doing wrong putting the wheel back on (I don't see how that would be possible because it's pretty simple, but this is my first good bike and I'm pretty new to the sport). Anyone else have any idea if I'm doing anything wrong?

Here's my bike

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Probably the disc brakes dragging. Check your pad clearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Sounds like it could possibly be normal drag... I would check to see that your front wheel is properly seated in the fork drops. If it is.. it could be just a break in period is needed..if there is alot of drag, you may want to take the bike back to your lbs for an adjustment.. or check this vid.. pretty simple..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFiORtQrlA
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It sounds like the front disc is warped and rubbing the brake pads. Hence, the "noise from time to time". Take it back to the store. It only take a few minutes to true a disc. You may want to watch and learn something.

The front wheel should spin much longer than the rear because the added friction of the free hub on the rear. If it still come to a stop sooner than the rear after the disc is not rubbing, the bearings are probably too tight.

mtbr member
    Try loosening the front tire lock, the lock that you're able to loosen to remove the tire. If i tighten those to much, it will drag the tire and not let it spin as freely. Make sure the tire bolts are sitting and aligned freely on the front fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i took it off and reset it again, it's running a lot smoother now and the brake hardly ever drags, thanks guys!

mtbr member

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Sweet
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX